PDA

View Full Version : Why Mythbusters won't test RFID

Ferre
14-12-2009, 10:15 AM
This is pretty disturbing shit...

wdDsukmgwsk

Big Dan
14-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks Ferre that was informative. That really sucks, If you produce a product for the public it should be open to public scrutiny, period. The only reason why something like this would be quashed is because of fears that the underlying technology is actually insecure. :(

Atom
14-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Ok, you completely lost me with this one, Ferre. I can't make heads nor tails of that.

Muddy
14-12-2009, 12:02 PM
What does the fact that Amex et al got defensive portend? Hmmmm.

Atom
14-12-2009, 12:08 PM
What the...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm on the right planet. lol

Muddy
14-12-2009, 12:12 PM
What the...

Oh dear lord! That made me laugh right out loud for some seconds!

fastreplies
14-12-2009, 07:44 PM
That really sucks, If you produce a product for the public it should be open to public scrutiny, period.

The fact they don't want to run tests speaks louder than words.
Of course they know that security flows will become public and that may kill their industry if they do nothing to fix the problem.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies
14-12-2009, 07:47 PM
What the...

Who Am I to argue with you?

:sqlaugh:

fastreplies

Damo
14-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, they did a test on biometric security while ago?

They did couple of attempts on fingerprint scanners to see if it could be bypassed easily and found they were able to beat the fingerprint scanners in several ways?

Can't remember.

Not surprised... I did google, and noticed there's a few Australian companies selling RFID crap.

vectro
14-12-2009, 09:37 PM
The only reason why something like this would be quashed is because of fears that the underlying technology is actually insecure. :(

My sentiments exactly.

Zap
15-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Come on, guys!
How about a little bit of faith in our big corporations?

:sqerr:

They always have our best interests at heart. :sqlaugh: :sqrofl:

Strong
15-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Strongy to Zap, Strongy to Zap, Over. Strongy calling Zap, over. Zap can you hear me from Planet Loco? Earth calling Zap, over! :sqlaugh:

Cryren8972
15-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I think we've lost him...

Big Dan
15-12-2009, 08:07 AM
The fact they don't want to run tests speaks louder than words.
Of course they know that security flows will become public and that may kill their industry if they do nothing to fix the problem.

:)

fastreplies

True. My whole point is they shouldn't put it out there if it's insecure. Companies shouldn't be allowed to gamble with our personal information in order to offer new features for profit. The FCC should really do something about this or at least alert people to potiental dangers, after all it's a radio transmitter.

Now that I think of it isn't US Customs testing or using RFID's in passports? I could swear I read something about that.

vectro
15-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Now that I think of it isn't US Customs testing or using RFID's in passports? I could swear I read something about that.

RFID passports arrive for Americans - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/RFID-passports-arrive-for-Americans/2100-1028_3-6105534.html)
DHS | Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They? (http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/gc_1197575704846.shtm)

Atom
15-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Who Am I to argue with you?

:sqlaugh:

fastrepliesYou agree.
Very well then.
lol

Atom
15-12-2009, 09:48 AM
What manner of catastrophe would allow a government to actually succeed in implementing such a device?

Ferre
15-12-2009, 09:52 AM
They'll find a manner Atom, and whatever this manner is, they will use it as a justification.

Maybe they'll go for the "WMD" or another "9/11" scam again, after all those have a proven track record, why re-invent the wheel eh?

:sqwink:

Zap
15-12-2009, 10:29 AM
They'll find a manner Atom, and whatever this manner is, they will use it as a justification.

Maybe they'll go for the "WMD" or another "9/11" scam again, after all those have a proven track record, why re-invent the wheel eh?

:sqwink:

I still want to know who murdered those 3000 people.

Atom
15-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I still want to know who murdered those 3000 people.Yeah, that would be kinda nice.

Atom
15-12-2009, 11:02 AM

:sqwink:Yes, I thought we might speculate a bit though. What catastrophe might it take? Or, would it take one at all? Maybe it wouldn't even take a catastrophe.

Ferre
15-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't think it will need a catastrophe, I think they will do it through a gradual process; the boiling frog method, and I think the heat is already under the pot since a while, in my opinion the water is already getting pretty warm.

Atom
15-12-2009, 03:27 PM
The boiling frog method:

"An old folk tale tells the story of a frog that hops out immediately when thrown into boiling water. However, when placed in a pot of cold water that is then heated gradually, the frog fails to notice the rising temperature and eventually cooks to death."

pctec
15-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't think it will need a catastrophe, I think they will do it through a gradual process; the boiling frog method, and I think the heat is already under the pot since a while, in my opinion the water is already getting pretty warm.

You mean like being virtually strip searched if you so much as think about taking a plane?

Zap
15-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Sooner or later, someone's gotta take a stand and stop this madness.

Ferre
15-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Sooner or later, someone's gotta take a stand and stop this madness.

People are taking a stand bro, for now governments are not listening, not because they don't hear them but because they keep their fingers in their ears hoping it will go away if they only put more pressure on the kettle.

It's not working. Reason why there is so much oppression building up nowadays is partly due to the panic "they" feel and their fear of loosing power.

The process has started already a while ago, more and more frogs are jumping out of the pan.

Just look what's happening in the world, have a close look at Greece, the mainstream media doesn't report much about what's happening there, but it is happening nevertheless.

Muddy
15-12-2009, 05:22 PM
The boiling frog method:

"An old folk tale tells the story of a frog that hops out immediately when thrown into boiling water. However, when placed in a pot of cold water that is then heated gradually, the frog fails to notice the rising temperature and eventually cooks to death."

Has this ever been scientifically proven?

pctec
15-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I believe they did boil frogs to death starting from cold water...
Whats more strange is the fact that someone would actually do it...

Zap
15-12-2009, 06:32 PM
*turns the burner off and dumps the frogs in the toilet*

Atom
15-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Has this ever been scientifically proven?I don't know and I've not tried it. I assume it hasn't if it's an old folk tale.

fastreplies
15-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Taking about Frogs

I'm trying to add flash file, this one
http://www.amray.com/web/Frog.swf so it can be run from within post

Any ideas how?

;)

fastreplies

Zap
15-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Nope.

Strong
16-12-2009, 04:26 AM

I think you are right Ferre. They tend to push out the envelope for every little thing that happens. Take the Berlesconi incident, already there are calls to curb the freedom to demonstrate based on this.

Worst still, take a look at London. As a tourist you can be stopped from taking pictures of public places like Trafalgar Square. In fact there have been cases of the police ordering tourists to show them what pictures they have taken and being forced to delete certain pictures, all under the guise of the dreaded 'security threat'.

The paranoia is getting ridiculous!

vectro
16-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Just look what's happening in the world, have a close look at Greece, the mainstream media doesn't report much about what's happening there, but it is happening nevertheless.

What's going on in Greece?

Case in point, I know :sqwink:

I think you are right Ferre. They tend to push out the envelope for every little thing that happens. Take the Berlesconi incident, already there are calls to curb the freedom to demonstrate based on this.

Worst still, take a look at London. As a tourist you can be stopped from taking pictures of public places like Trafalgar Square. In fact there have been cases of the police ordering tourists to show them what pictures they have taken and being forced to delete certain pictures, all under the guise of the dreaded 'security threat'.

Indeed. Some might say people are paranoid for worrying about the government searching such information. I might argue the governments of the world are becoming paranoid because they're looking so deep.

Muddy
18-12-2009, 12:08 AM

What the hell are you people hiding in Trafalgar Square?

Strong
18-12-2009, 08:23 AM
As far as I know only the National Gallery and a bunch of statues. Oh and a few fountains.

And lots of traffic lights.

On a serious note, I suppose they hope to stop 'terrorists' from casing out tourist hot spots, thus hoping to thwart them making plans for an attack. There have been incidents of such planing involving filming of cctv camera positions and the like.

Ferre
18-12-2009, 09:06 AM
What the hell are you people hiding in Trafalgar Square?

Nothing you can't see in Google street view :sqlaugh:

Strong
18-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Exactly!

And a million post cards!