View Full Version : Work Sucks!

Ferre
25-01-2010, 08:45 AM
6ArkJmUOIqM
Wa4_ihxT9rI
hNqwiRTo64k

Atom
25-01-2010, 09:34 AM
In regard to the first one, I haven't seen a vid that good since Zeitgeist: Addendum. I'll watch the others now.

Atom
25-01-2010, 09:59 AM
The other two were ok, I liked the first one best though, and found the sledgehammer to the computer scene a particularly jolly moment. lol

Sami4u
25-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi,

I second that Work Sucks :(

Sami

Strong
26-01-2010, 04:41 AM
So OK, let us all stop working. How is that gonna work?

Ferre
26-01-2010, 05:09 AM
So OK, let us all stop working. How is that gonna work?

It is not exactly work that sucks Strong, it is the manner in which work has become a tool for corporations to control people. There is nothing wrong with work, what's wrong is that work has transformed into a form of slave labour, the slaves are kept in more luxurious conditions than in the old days and they have an illusion of being free, which keeps them from revolt, but the modern day slave has to be a whole lot more productive than his chained brother from the past.

Strong
26-01-2010, 05:46 AM
I see the point the guy is trying to make in the video, but I think it is a distorted perspective. Yeah they use us, but we use them also, it is a symbiotic relationship. We couldn't have the kind of life we have, without them and likewise they couldn't have the kind of life they have without us.

I think the guy is arguing that the relationship between worker and employer is skewed in favour of the employer at present, which is a valid point to argue, but to describe workers as slaves is I think going too far. Workers, in the West certainly, do have a choice, they can find another job, or start their own business, or find some other way to finance their lives. Slaves never had the choice. (If you are talking about workers in the slums of India, perhaps I would agree the the slaves analogy).

The globalisation of markets, the rise of cheap, disposable labour in China and India and more generally in Asia, has I think weakened the power of the Unions to represent their members in the West. This perhaps is the reason that the relationship is now more skewed in favour of the employer. But to get some perspective you have to compare working conditions now with that which existed in the past. And in the West certainly they can be held up to be quite favourable.

I would argue it is for each of us to find our own work/home/free time balance. And I would say that education is fundamental to that. If you were to say that society was controlled by limiting opportunities to gain education, perhaps you would have a point.