PDA

View Full Version : Should we invest in Geo-engineering?

Strong
03-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Investment in geo-engineering needed immediately, says Royal Society

Techniques such as CO2 removal and radiation reflection are 'untested parachutes' until they are rigorously tested, it says

Experiments on giant sunshades for the Earth and vast forests of artificial trees must begin immediately, according to the Royal Society, to ensure such mega-engineering plans are available as a safety net in case global talks to combat climate change fail.

The scientists spent a year assessing geo-engineering technologies, deliberate planet-scale interventions in the climate system that attempt to counteract global warming. Their report, the most comprehensive to date, concluded that immediate investment is required to discover whether the potential risks outweigh the benefits.

Article: Guardian - Investment in geo-engineering needed immediately, says Royal Society (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/sep/01/geo-technology-testing)

What think you? Do we tamper with the climate to try and counteract climate change? And if we don't what do we do, just let it run rampant?

Atom
03-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Well if folks are going to insist on procreating themselves then I think we'd better do something.

ewomack
03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
They seem to insist on that. Sex seems to be a hard thing to talk people out of. Then all these little critters pop out. More and more and more and more. Soon there aren't enough pronto pups to go around, so some people eat and drink from fecal-contaminated wells or lakes. Then they get diseases that spread to the well-doers. Then for a miraculous moment the pronto pup supply increases, then the happy virile people make more critters, then the pronto pups run out... and on and on ad infinitum...

Strong
04-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Where is this thread going :sqlaugh:

Zap
04-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I think we're doomed to learn our lesson the hard way.
That seems to be our M.O. so far.

ewomack
04-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I hate to agree with you on this one, Zap, but I agree that we'll get exactly what we deserve in the end. Maybe not this generation or the next, but likely one of the next 3-4 will have to deal with the absolute mess we've made of things.

Muddy
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I think we're doomed to learn our lesson the hard way.
That seems to be our M.O. so far.

*snort*

ewomack
04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
This isn't a time for cocaine... the WORLD IS ENDING!!!!

Strong
06-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Technically Ed, the world will be just fine, but life will suffer the whims of a changing environment brought on by human induced climate change.

Do I think we should meddle even more with the climate in a vain hope of bringing the climate back to the 'ideal' for Us? No. I don't believe we know enough as yet. But I do believe we need to start thinking that way, doing experiments and seeing what possible technologies might make a difference.

Some days I'm pessimistic. But on the whole, I think we will survive, in some fashion.

Perhaps we will wear kilts and develop webbed feet and hands, one day becoming merpeople. Although I must say that fishy smell would really get me down.

Muddy
06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Be nice to not have to wear clothes though.

Atom
06-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Clothing is a good thing. No doubt about it. Have you been to walmart lately?

Strong
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Why, don't they wear clothes there?

Atom
06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
In fact they do. Thankfully!

ewomack
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Sure, we'll survive, but probably not all 6.7 billion of us. We're already overextended in numbers relative to resources, some say, and our course is still for more and more and more and more growth (a WalMart next to every Caribou Coffee). Recently there was a news story celebrating a family that just had its 19th child... AUGH!!! Who needs 19 children!!! And each one of them could have 2 children of their own and on and on and on like compound interest.

Now I know a great way to make friends is to discuss limiting the number of children born (not aborted, but conceived). And you can only guess the cheer I spread at parties when I bring this up (I don't broach the subject around new parents, however). Unpopular as it is, if we are going to survive, we need to accept our finitude.

Strong
08-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Let's throw another log on the fire, in the form of some ice and snow.

Article: BBC - Arctic 'warmest in 2,000 years' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8236797.stm)

The result is a "hockey stick"-like curve in which the last decade - 1998-2008 - stands out as the warmest in the entire series.

"The most pervasive signal in the reconstruction, the most prominent trend, is the overall cooling that took place for the first 1,900 years [of the record]," said study leader Darrell Kaufman from Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, US.

"The 20th Century stands out in strong contrast to the cooling that should have continued. The last half-century was the warmest of the 2,000-year temperature record, and the last 10 years have been especially dramatic," he told BBC News.

Maybe if we all kept our freezer doors open over night ... :sqconfused:

Zap
08-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Maybe if we all kept our freezer doors open over night ... :sqconfused:

And all this time, I thought my kids were just lazy.
Turns out, they keep leaving the fridge door open to ensure their own survival.
They're brilliant!

ewomack
08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
You have some smarties there, Zap... I leave the fridge open so I can find my way to the kitchen at night...

Strong
09-09-2009, 12:40 PM
It is not all bad news, here is a positive spin to the quagmire of rising sea levels:

BBC report - Flooding solutions for Bangladesh (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8240441.stm)

Are your toes wet all day? Too much water flooding your fields? Your chickens not floating very well? Your rice paddys too deep to reach? What do you do?

Grow shrimp, farm crabs, keep ducks and have floating gardens. Them Bangladeshi are resourceful folk!

ewomack
09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes, and following the nuclear holocaust just think of all the uses we'll have for those extra limbs!!!!