PDA

View Full Version : Politicians! Do we really need them?

Strong
09-09-2009, 06:25 AM
It has been suggested at various times during my life that I would make a good politician. :3wink:

It is a little insulting I find. Why? I can't really put my finger on it. I'm ambivalent towards them. To me they are a necessary evil. For instance, while there is much wrong with the United Nations, I believe the world is better for it's existence. Sometimes politicians need to get their hands dirty, politically speaking, to achieve the a solution.

But what about you and what about politicians. Do we really need them?

Zap
09-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Agreed. Politicians are a necessary evil if we are to move forward in any kind of civilized manner.
Politicians put (in theory) our wishes into practice.

ewomack
09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
The paradox of voting: you can only vote for a politician but who in their right mind would vote for a politician?

Atom
09-09-2009, 04:23 PM
It has been suggested at various times during my life that I would make a good politician. :3wink:

It is a little insulting I find. Why? I can't really put my finger on it. ... It is very perplexing to receive an answer to a simple question that does not include an answer to that question. Yes, No, Maybe, I'm not sure and I don't know are all acceptable answers. If one of these are not included in a response to a simple question, then the question has not been answered and the response is complete rubbish, IMHO. Politicians seem to be expert at not answering simple questions.

Atom
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Apparently they think we are all a bunch of dummies, and I think that what really bothers me is, they're right, we are, and they simply take advantage of that.

Atom
09-09-2009, 04:33 PM
The smart politicians answer a high percentage of simple questions asked them, but they are unfortunately few and far between. The very last thing that I want to hear from a politician is some long, intentionally confusing spiel that does not answer the question.

Atom
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Please add this> (...) after this> I can't really put my finger on it. in my post #4, this idiotic editing time limit really pisses me off, that, I assure you I am not kidding about. I'm not some fucking unknown juvenile. You mods don't have to worry about that, do you? Isn't THAT just PEACHY?

Atom
09-09-2009, 04:41 PM
One of these days, that little shitting time limit is going to cause me to decide not to return to this forum. Seriously.

Atom
09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Gettin' sick of it, boys.

Atom
09-09-2009, 04:48 PM
And I don't care what your reasoning is, Zap, so don't even bother. I heard and understood you the first time. Only problem is, that don't cut it with me.

iowadawg
09-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Dissension in the ranks?

New thread should be started:
When Will Atom Leave?

Now to the thread topic:

Politicians we need.
But not professional politicians.
Should be a very strict term limits on all politicians and offices.
Our president is limited to 2 terms, so why not our senators and our representatives?

Atom
09-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Dissension in the ranks?

New thread should be started:
When Will Atom Leave? (...)How about right now?

I don't really relish having myself or my friends called buttholes by a new member in their introduction thread, especially when no one disrespected you with name-calling.

Atom
09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Know what I mean?

Strong
09-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I think he meant it as a term of endearment Atom, in a funny kind of way.

Atom
09-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I think he meant it as a term of endearment Atom, in a funny kind of way.Yes, I find it was very polite of them to substitute the word butt for the word ass, a very endearing trait indeed.

Strong
09-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Ass as in donkey or ass as in arse, I never quite know what you Americans means by ass?

Atom
09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Ass as in donkey or ass as in arse, I never quite know what you Americans means by ass?I'll give you a clue, it almost never means donkey, especially when coupled with the word hole. :sqwink:

Strong
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Which is it of your political parties has a donkey as their symbol, the Democrats or Republicans? That always seemed a bit strange to me with the connotations linked to donkeys.

Atom
09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Which is it of your political parties has a donkey as their symbol, the Democrats or Republicans? That always seemed a bit strange to me with the connotations linked to donkeys.Democrats would be the asses. Republicans would be the fat asses.

ewomack
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Democrats would be the asses. Republicans would be the fat asses.

I think you've crystallized American politics.

Atom
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Strongy, I said (...) not ...

The parentheses are important, they indicate that the quote was broken by me, and not the author of the post that I'm quoting.

ewomack
10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Interesting orthography... now I get it...

Atom
10-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes. When someone chooses to break their post with ... , they wouldn't do it within parentheses. I've been using that method for years to distinguish my edits to peoples posts that I choose to quote.

Atom
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
In fact, I invented the method.

ewomack
10-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Hmmm... I just use ellipses randomly, probably incorrectly and inconsistently... I'm glad someone has a method...

Atom
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Hmmm... I just use ellipses randomly, probably incorrectly and inconsistently... (...) Yes, but how often have you used ellipses that contain only three periods? The answer is likely never, that's why I use that method, and if someone did happen to, then I would use brackets or doubled ellipses instead.

Muddy
10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Ed thought ellipses was a Greek hero.

Muddy
10-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I always only use three periods. I thought it was a grammatical rule.

Atom
10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I always only use three periods. (...)But not within ellipses, and that is the point. Very good.

Atom
10-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Some joker over at v7 who's name I'll not mention tried messing with my method one time, using three periods within ellipses. Their jolly plan of course didn't work.

Atom
10-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Even the simplest of indications is only common courtesy to the original poster and wisdom to the quoter. There's nothing worse than reckless post chopping.

Atom
10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Except malicious quote editing, even in jest. That's something that should never be done under any circumstances. There are much better and wiser ways to get laughs or make someone look bad.

ewomack
10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
My favorite greek hero is Feces, Lord of the Underworld, actually, but nice try...