PDA

View Full Version : How pot prohibition was sold in the 70's

Ferre
17-10-2010, 06:13 AM
orJbLB843EU

ewomack
17-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Wow... don't smoke pot, but do drink beer... the "crazy beach party" guy was swigging a bud... interesting message, that...

This must have been one of the PSAs that ran after midnight on network channels. The target audience was probably already toked up when and if they saw it.

I'm a pretty clean hedgehog, I've never tried pot or acid or really anything. But I still don't understand why the establishment remains so threatened by pot. Is it the association with the 60s counter culture? Alcohol has always seemed far worse in potential effect.

Atom
17-10-2010, 07:26 AM
The narration is satire. I haven't seen this one, it's pretty funny.

Atom
17-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Wow... don't smoke pot, but do drink beer... the "crazy beach party" guy was swigging a bud... interesting message, that...

This must have been one of the PSAs that ran after midnight on network channels. The target audience was probably already toked up when and if they saw it.

I'm a pretty clean hedgehog, I've never tried pot or acid or really anything. But I still don't understand why the establishment remains so threatened by pot. Is it the association with the 60s counter culture? Alcohol has always seemed far worse in potential effect.You may have to take THC in pill form in the future if you become ill. It's a special drug, the relief it gives for many major diseases and ailments in general is unique, and the best thing about it is it's nonaddictive.

Ferre
18-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Has anyone ever noticed how ex government officials often turn around and voice themselves for legalisation - years after their career on positions where they could have actually made a change and didn't?

Here's the latest; Former surgeon general calls for marijuana legalization - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/18/former.surgeon.general.marijuana/index.html)

Atom
18-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Has anyone ever noticed how ex government officials often turn around and voice themselves for legalisation - years after their career on positions where they could have actually made a change and didn't?

Here's the latest; Former surgeon general calls for marijuana legalization - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/18/former.surgeon.general.marijuana/index.html)Yes, I have. It's a disgrace that these former officials wait till they're off the government payroll to become honest.

Ferre
18-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Yes, I have. It's a disgrace that these former officials wait till they're off the government payroll to become honest.

Yep, and then there's this kind of politicians too;

2004, before being President;

Auc-3qFbXQI

2009, as the president;

QLFmGu57jLI

Always good to see a man of principles in action. :sqlaugh:

Muddy
18-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Yep, and then there's this kind of politicians too;

2004, before being President;

Auc-3qFbXQI

2009, as the president;

QLFmGu57jLI

Always good to see a man of principles in action. :sqlaugh:

I'm not a fan of the guy but I don't see a contradiction in his statements there. In '04 he said the approach to the war against drugs needs to be revisited. In '09 he said that legalizing pot would not be a good way to grow the economy. Two separate issues. Interestingly, in both cases I picked up on what seemed to me to be a pot sympathetic vibe.

Muddy
18-10-2010, 08:32 AM
The narration is satire. I haven't seen this one, it's pretty funny.

Yeah, clearly satire. In fact, based on the aforementioned drinkers at the beach party as well as the clean-cut pot abstainer then reaching into his desk drawer for a whiskey bottle, I would say the whole thing was satire, not just the narration. Not to mention the screaming lady and the crazy-eyed custodian.

Atom
18-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Mr. Obama is mistaken in the second video in post #7, the marijuana question was not quite high on the list, it was the number one question.

Atom
18-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah, clearly satire. In fact, based on the aforementioned drinkers at the beach party as well as the clean-cut pot abstainer then reaching into his desk drawer for a whiskey bottle, I would say the whole thing was satire, not just the narration. Not to mention the screaming lady and the crazy-eyed custodian.The whole thing was intended as satire, however, the satire is composed of some non-satirical video clips whereas the narration is entirely satirical.

Muddy
18-10-2010, 08:46 AM
The clips must be a mix.

Atom
18-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, most of those clips weren't intended as satire.

Muddy
18-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Five fingers of a hand reaching out to claim its next victim.

Atom
18-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I think the gullibility level of the average viewer is still high, I didn't want anyone thinking that the narration was serious in any way.

Atom
18-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Mr. Obama is mistaken in the second video in post #7, the marijuana question was not quite high on the list, it was the number one question.Actually, this is a polite way to say that he is a liar.

Muddy
18-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I think the gullibility level of the average viewer is still high, I didn't want anyone thinking that the narration was serious in any way.

Right. Same here.

Muddy
18-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Actually, this is a polite way to say that he is a liar.

I have to disagree. Just because the question was #1 doesn't mean that it was NOT high on the list. It was very high on the list...in fact, number one.

Atom
18-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I was online there for that meeting, the news reports had it as the number one question, which fact then suddenly disappeared from the dialog as Obama spoke in contrary. I saw this happen with my own eyes in real time.

Ferre
18-10-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm not a fan of the guy but I don't see a contradiction in his statements there. In '04 he said the approach to the war against drugs needs to be revisited. In '09 he said that legalizing pot would not be a good way to grow the economy. Two separate issues. Interestingly, in both cases I picked up on what seemed to me to be a pot sympathetic vibe.

Well, in 2004 he clearly stated that drug laws need revision, to get to any revision at least those issues should be discussed, but as we know now he waves away the discussion to begin with. What he did in that '09 video was exactly that; waving away the discussion by means of some stupid jokes.

Atom
18-10-2010, 09:42 AM
The officials knew it was the number one question but covered up that fact, the news reports were immediately updated to leave out the fact that it was the number one question asked by the 3.5 million online participants after it was realized that Obama decided to go along with the cover-up.

Atom
18-10-2010, 09:44 AM
And not only that, but the question that Obama presented was not even the correct question. I kid you not, folks. I suspect that the administration was infuriated by the real #1 question, so they changed it.

Ferre
18-10-2010, 09:45 AM
As I remember well, it wasn't only the #1 question, many more questions in the top 10 were about legalisation. That too was not mentioned anywhere in the MSM.

Atom
18-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Well, in 2004 he clearly stated that drug laws need revision, to get to any revision at least those issues should be discussed, but as we know now he waves away the discussion to begin with. What he did in that '09 video was exactly that; waving away the discussion by means of some stupid jokes.Exactly right. You may remember how pissed I was over that, my posts should still be in the v7n archive concerning this matter.

Atom
18-10-2010, 10:03 AM
I cannot remember the name of the thread/s, but in my posts I was exposing this cover-up as it happened. To be honest, I could barely believe my eyes when all this occurred, I was actually shocked at the blatancy of Obama, I think that his "advisers" must have jumped on him pretty hard about this and he just went along with it.

Atom
18-10-2010, 10:06 AM
In light of the current important issues at that time, I'm sure the #1 question seemed a disgrace to the administration and they simply wouldn't have it.

Ferre
18-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Change you can believe in. - My ass.

Atom
18-10-2010, 10:10 AM
After all, this was an historic meeting, it was the very first national online presidential town meeting.

Ferre
18-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Exactly right. You may remember how pissed I was over that, my posts should still be in the v7n archive concerning this matter.

I can't remember that, I think I could have been banned already over there. Stupid bigoted cunts.

Atom
18-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I can't remember that, I think I could have been banned already over there. Stupid bigoted cunts.Oh, crap... I think you may be right, sorry. Yeah I was really pissed when I realized what happened.

Atom
19-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Don't buy the hype on pot legalization - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/10/19/miron.prop.19/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn)

The following excerpts from the article above demonstrate the sheer madness of the current administration and it's witty attorney general. :sqlaugh:

"In 2009, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said the federal government would not interfere with medical marijuana in states where it is legal under state law."

"Just last week, Holder announced that the federal government strongly opposes Prop 19 and will aggressively enforce federal marijuana prohibition in California, regardless of Prop 19's outcome."

Atom
19-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I dread even more a republican administration, especially in light of the current economic crisis that was born in the last one, but this is just ridiculous. Something weird going on here.. I don't know if the dems are trying to win rep votes or what the heck the story is. Politics generally makes me sick to my stomach, so you won't hear too much more about it from me, but I just couldn't help myself this time.

Muddy
24-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Wow! Who'd of thunk it?

TV evangelist Robertson's remarks on marijuana please legalization camp (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/23/AR2010122304413.html?wpisrc=nl_pmheadline)

Ferre
24-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I thought I saw water burn the first time I've seen that. :sqlaugh:

Halo
24-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh my Me.
jSH6ofHbeUw

Muddy
24-12-2010, 11:53 PM
http://www.onepennysheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pat-robertson1.jpg

vectro
29-12-2010, 09:16 AM
The blunt truth. :lol:

I don't see the contradictions in Obama or Holder's statements.

Pres. Obama said in 2004 that he doesn't believe in legalizing marijuana but would seek to decriminalize it (ticket instead of arrest). In 2009 he said he does not believe in legalizing marijuana for economic purposes. Remember, decriminalizing and legalizing are two different things. I don't see a contradiction.

Att. Gen. Holder said the government would not interfere with states that legalized marijuana for medical use. Prop 19 was for legalization of personal use, not medical use specifically. So he can oppose prop 19 without contradicting himself.

I just get the impression that no one wants to be the "pot politician". No matter what they do in office, that one thing would cloud everything else. They'd deal with a lot of backlash and a certain reputation for that. Many jokes would be made about them for years to come.

Even if the OP video is satire, it's still reminiscent of Reefer Madness.

ewomack
04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm beginning to think that everything, all of my beliefs, sensations and even the essence of my being is satire... life has finally started to make sense.

Ferre
04-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm beginning to think that everything, all of my beliefs, sensations and even the essence of my being is satire... life has finally started to make sense.

Join the club.

To me, life is like I got myself a front seat at the Theatre d' Absurd where there's a never ending show going on. Remember that parody on soap opera's called "soap" they once did on tv? have you seen the movie Idiocracy? that's what this world looks like to me.

This world is satire, humanity is a big joke on life itself and once you realize this indeed everything makes sense.

:sqlaugh:

vectro
05-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Remember that parody on soap opera's called "soap" they once did on tv? have you seen the movie Idiocracy?

Yes, I've seen both and know what you mean. Makes me think of these, too: Thank You for Smoking (2005) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/) An American Carol (2008) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190617/)

Cryren8972
11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Legalizing for medicinal use = medical community stands to make a dollar off of it. Anyone caught using it "personally" will be ticketed aka the government stands to make money off of it. Contradiction or not folks, that's what it boils down to.

Ferre
12-01-2011, 08:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/r1h8i.jpg

vectro
15-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Legalizing for medicinal use = medical community stands to make a dollar off of it. Anyone caught using it "personally" will be ticketed aka the government stands to make money off of it. Contradiction or not folks, that's what it boils down to.

It's not perfect, but it's probably better than the government spending money on keeping small possession illegal, which most states are still doing. Decriminalizing and ticketing is less of a waste of money than having people arrested and prosecuted.

Cryren8972
16-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Vectro...I'm all for legalizing it completely. I think adding all of the conditions on the legalization of marijuana is simply to make more money off of it. They are trying to find a way to make money off of an herb. They have to make it illegal to grow of course...then they have to make it illegal to have unless you get the medical community involved...then they have to make it illegal to drive while under the influence of, so they can make money off ticketing. A lot of money stands to be made on pot being illegal. They are really trying to find a way to legalize it, but still keep their hands in the cookie jar. That's why there's been such a hold up. They are maximizing their profit. They also don't want to piss the cigarette companies off. In my opinion, they should STOP making cigarettes altogether and manufacture marijuana in the cigarette plants. Imagine the health benefits? Oh, but nooooo...because then the doctors would lose so much money on treating cancer. Honestly, this is a sore subject for me because it hits home the problems with the FDA and the complete lack of concern for American health. They want us healthy enough to work...but sick enough to keep the medical dollars rolling in...but that's a whole new subject and I'm getting off on a tangent. =)

Ferre
16-01-2011, 09:16 AM
I think you are spot-on here.

vectro
23-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I think you are spot-on here.

Yeah, pretty much.