PDA

View Full Version : This will give the powers that be

pctec
29-10-2010, 05:34 PM
This will give the powers that be one more justification (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101029/ap_on_bi_ge/airports_suspicious_packages) for stripping us of a bit more freedom in the name of security...

Prepare...

Big Dan
29-10-2010, 06:26 PM
When I read about this earlier, I thought it looks like a good way for the USPS to squeeze the UPS and Fed Ex's profit margins by legislating additional security/screening for packages.

The USPS is going downhill and fast what a perfect opportunity to force price increases upon other carriers.

Ferre
29-10-2010, 06:47 PM
It is A LOT OF news about NOTHING.

They found no explosives, NADA EXPLOSIVOS, could have been printer cartridges or something, nothing to worry about, it is no news at all and nothing happened apart from hysterical news articles and a hysterical propaganda machine desperate to validate the "terror threat" as a distraction now that wikileaks has published a bunch load of embarrassing and compromising documents on those past "terror" war endeavours.

Man, those goons are so predictable, every time something embarrassing turns up for them another "terror plot" gets attention or Bin Laden makes a video appearance.

:sqlaugh:

Strong
30-10-2010, 05:22 AM
I find it odd that the day after calls in the UK to lessen the restrictions on airport security that this all blows up!

I find it even more odd that the Americans insist that we in Europe carry out checks on passengers that the Americans themselves do not do on internal flights in their own country and when this is brought to light, oh look there is another security scare to focus our attention where they want it.

Call me Sceptical if you want.

Muddy
30-10-2010, 11:56 AM
...it was argued that how come people with wedding rings do not set the security devices off.

Why not indeed?

Airport security asked woman to remove nipple rings with pliers to board flight on Weird Things (http://www.weirdthings.org.uk/airport-security-asked-woman-to-remove-nipple-rings-with-pliers-to-board-flight/)

Zap
30-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm just happy that the nipple rings DO set them off. :)

And, it's being reported over here that explosives WERE found, Ferre.
Are you guys hearing something different over there?

Strong
30-10-2010, 01:22 PM
From the UK; last night they said no explosives, this morning it was capable of exploding, presumably after further tests were carried out. They even had a government minister out to confirm it. There was even talk of some white powder of some sort, but no definitive statement as to what it might be.

By the way, don't coke bottles explode too.

In the fog of 24 hour news, it is best to wait for fair weather to blow the nonsense away and bring some clarity to the situation.

Muddy
30-10-2010, 01:32 PM
There were definitely WOMD! The guvment said so!

Big Dan
30-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I seriously cannot believe the news shows in the US. They whip themselves up into a frenzy with this pseudo-expert and that pseudo-expert yammering on TV wasting my electricity.

I especially love the people who get all nervous and antsy about it. What's the point you aren't going to do anything to change it. You've gotta 1,000 G-men swarming all over the place..it will get sorted when it gets sorted.

I'm with Ferre on the theater of it all. It's funny how after the fact Homeland Security always claims to have been monitoring the situation, but it's caught just in the nick of time with disruption to major transportation hubs..Nothing like making a spectacle of yourself eh?

Ferre
31-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Are you guys hearing something different over there?

Yes, we get the news without the US government propaganda and it usually isn't as "hyped up" as the stuff I read in the English language press.

Seriously, people in the English speaking world are far more played by politics and the press than we are. English speaking people are served all the bullshit in a bullshit way, all day long. For us Duchies it is like those parts of the world are populated by retards who are fed retarded messages to keep them in a constantly dictated mindset.

And it is NOT funny. English speaking people do dictate the wars.

Ferre
31-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Doesn't anyone wonder why it is always the US that is the source of information for all of this?

Most airport security all over the world, including the Netherlands btw, is contracted to ISRAELI companies.

The only "intelligence" we receive from so called terrorist plots and terrorist cells comes from US and Israeli "intelligence", none of this can ever be verified.

Of course one can decide to take that for granted, one can simply forget about all the times this world has been lied to and deceived by those countries and forget about the hundreds of victims they make themselves on a daily basis and assume that they have the best of intentions. That's what most people in fact do.

I do not, my mind doesn't work that way, I need empirical evidence, peer review, reliable sources. I am not a person who believes because I'm told. I was raised to believe only that which can be verified and tested.

And so far most empirical evidence I have examined suggests that we might get fooled by the US and Israel (again).

Most people do not realize that the MSM, the US and Israel are not giving them information. Most people do not realize it is not information they are receiving, they do not realize what they receive is "the approved version of reality".

And I don't buy that, I never did.

ewomack
31-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Orwell's "1984" outlined the perfect dictatorship - a permanent ambiguous war was one of the major elements of that oppression. I forgot who said that many governments seem to have learned what to do from that book rather than what not to do.

Ferre
02-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Just to put things in the right context and perspective;

The following ratios were compiled using data from 2004 National Safety Council (NSC) Estimates, a report based on data from The National Center for Health Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 2003 mortality data from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) was used.

You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack

You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack

You are six times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack

You are eight times more likely to die from accidental electrocution than from a terrorist attack

You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane

You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack

You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack

You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack

You are 1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack

You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack

You are nine times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack

You are eight times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist

Source; The Eyewash Station: Odds of Dying in a Terrorist Attack (http://eyewashstation.blogspot.com/2007/11/odds-of-dying-in-terrorist-attack.html)

Strong
03-11-2010, 01:31 PM
What is the chances of winning the lottery? Yet people do it every week.

Then again, somebody wins practically every week. :sqconfused:

I wonder how those stats would change if I lived in Iraq. And what would be the chance of being shot by an American (in Paris)? :sqwink:

Halo
10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Just to put things in the right context and perspective;

The following ratios were compiled using data from 2004 National Safety Council (NSC) Estimates, a report based on data from The National Center for Health Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 2003 mortality data from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) was used.

You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack

You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack

You are six times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack

You are eight times more likely to die from accidental electrocution than from a terrorist attack

You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane

You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack

You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack

You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack

You are 1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack

You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack

You are nine times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack

You are eight times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist

Source; The Eyewash Station: Odds of Dying in a Terrorist Attack (http://eyewashstation.blogspot.com/2007/11/odds-of-dying-in-terrorist-attack.html)

I wonder if knowing those odds changes them.

:sqwink:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/conditional_risk.png