PDA

View Full Version : Blueprint for a Better World

Strong
11-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Blueprint for a Better World (http://www.newscientist.com/special/blueprint-for-a-better-world)

The above article raises some interesting ideas:
It calls for us to legalise drugs.
Start a colony on Mars (Which I think is not currently practical or even possible).
Tax carbon and give the money to people.
Learn to love genetic engineering.
End the pillaging of the sea.
Pay people that generate their own power and add the surplus to the grid.
Move to a four day week.

Do you think you could take on any or even all of these big ideas!?!

ewomack
11-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I really agree with "redefine the bottom line." The chase for a society that produces nothing but profit makes society meaningless and cold. "Gross Domestic Well Being," as one African President put it, should trump Gross Domestic Product. The US provides a great example that concentrated wealth does not necessarily mean happiness for all. A lot of us in this country seem trapped and starved for something more than our lives of accumulation.

One thing the list did not mention: stop convincing people to buy things that they do not need. Our consumption habits contribute to many of the other ills listed. But clever psychology and marketing gimmicks keep many people in the endless cycle of earn and spend.

Strong
11-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I really agree with "redefine the bottom line." The chase for a society that produces nothing but profit makes society meaningless and cold. "Gross Domestic Well Being," as one African President put it, should trump Gross Domestic Product. The US provides a great example that concentrated wealth does not necessarily mean happiness for all. A lot of us in this country seem trapped and starved for something more than our lives of accumulation.

One thing the list did not mention: stop convincing people to buy things that they do not need. Our consumption habits contribute to many of the other ills listed. But clever psychology and marketing gimmicks keep many people in the endless cycle of earn and spend.

Consumption, earn and spend, is the foundation of our culture. So much so that our consumer good are not even made to last, they are made with a short life expectancy to perpetuate the cycle. Think of an electrical product today, if it breaks down, is it economical to repair it? It is generally more cost effective to by a new one. A ludicrous nonsensical waste of resources IMHO.

We do need to find a different focus to our lives. Money is a tool not an end.

ewomack
11-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Changing the money culture is like resurfacing the Titanic. The inertia is nearly incomprehensible. I don't know what it would take to alter it.

Zap
11-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Blueprint for a Better World (http://www.newscientist.com/special/blueprint-for-a-better-world)

The above article raises some interesting ideas:
It calls for us to legalise drugs.
Start a colony on Mars (Which I think is not currently practical or even possible).
Tax carbon and give the money to people.
Learn to love genetic engineering.
End the pillaging of the sea.
Pay people that generate their own power and add the surplus to the grid.
Move to a four day week.

Do you think you could take on any or even all of these big ideas!?!

Looking to start generating some of my own power to start with. Project is moving forward, albeit very slowly.
Already on a four day work week.

ewomack
11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
How did you get a 4 day work week?!?!?!?!? :sqeek:

Zap
11-09-2009, 10:37 PM
My boss is me.

I could work 5 days and earn more money or I can spend that time with my family.
I chose strip clubs, er, I mean, family. Yeah, family. :sqembarrassed: :sqeek: :sqwink:

Atom
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I agree with them all except #1, that one is too vague to agree with.

As for the Mars colonization, I agree with Strongy that it's not currently feasible.

Atom
12-09-2009, 01:58 AM
As for do I think that I could "take on" any or all, my answer is no to all. I don't think that I could "take on" any of them. I should probably add that I don't actually know what is meant by "take on". However, I still feel confident enough to answer.

Muddy
12-09-2009, 02:10 AM
When I hear "take on" I think of one of two things. Either one entity "taking on" another in a confrontation of some sort, or a vehicle (usually a large seagoing one) "taking on" fuel. There's a third too, but it doesn't work in this context. Anyway, that's my take on it.

Atom
12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Yes, but you never know with them Brits. Could mean any damned thing.

Atom
12-09-2009, 02:26 AM
It's a vague expression in this context. I mean, is Strongy wanting me to take on living on Mars or is he looking for agreement with the idea or what? I can think of more too. To me, that expression is not a definitive one at all in these different contexts.

Atom
12-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I just hope that I don't have to re-think and change my answers after his clarification of the term.

Strong
12-09-2009, 03:42 AM
It's a vague expression in this context. I mean, is Strongy wanting me to take on living on Mars or is he looking for agreement with the idea or what? I can think of more too. To me, that expression is not a definitive one at all in these different contexts.

Since when do I make definitive statements. :sqwink:

Your opinions on the ideas mentioned is all that is sort :sqbiggrin:

Atom
12-09-2009, 03:47 AM
(...)
Your opinions on the ideas mentioned is all that is sort :sqbiggrin:What? :sqerr:

sort?

Stop confusing me!

lol

Strong
12-09-2009, 04:03 AM
:sqlaugh:

I meant as in, looked for, wanted, requested.

Atom
12-09-2009, 04:03 AM
is all that is sort. Hmmm..

Can you at least give me a hint on the area? Cockney maybe? I'm just guessing. I really have no idea what so ever what that means.

Atom
12-09-2009, 04:05 AM
:sqlaugh:

I meant as in, looked for, wanted, requested.:sqerr::sqerr:

What the...

I must be really stoned. I didn't think the shit was really all that good but..

lol

ewomack
12-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure how a colony on Mars would make for a better world. Cleaning up the freaking mess we've made here would be a better start... why run off to another planet... that's like arguing "well, I pissed off my girlfriend so I'd better go find another one." Plus, as stated, we're in no shape to colonize Mars right now. Perhaps the powers of the holy pancake would help...

Muddy
12-09-2009, 10:28 AM
When Strongy says "sort" I think he means "sought".

ewomack
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Whatever he means, it surely doesn't make for a better world...

Strong
12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
When Strongy says "sort" I think he means "sought".

Damn letters! That looks better. Sorry Atom, that's the one I meant! I really need to hire Watley, but reckon he don't come cheap!

I'm not sure how a colony on Mars would make for a better world. Cleaning up the freaking mess we've made here would be a better start... why run off to another planet... that's like arguing "well, I pissed off my girlfriend so I'd better go find another one." Plus, as stated, we're in no shape to colonize Mars right now. Perhaps the powers of the holy pancake would help...

I think the point of the suggestion is to remove some of our eggs to a different basket so that if some fat arse where to sit on the first basket, we wouldn't lose all our ...

(Damn! In my head that analogy seemed quite good, but on the screen it reminds me of that Japanese bloke trying to escape his farting around.)

ewomack
12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
So the planets are baskets and we have all our sperms and eggs in that one basket so we should sow our furtive little seeds in other baskets so as not to have put all our eggs in one basket... ?

Strong
13-09-2009, 05:57 AM
In a metaphorical sense, I guess so! The baskets various planets, the eggs and sperm being us humans.

ewomack
13-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Unfortunately at the present time we're stuck with one basket. And we've pooped in it. Getting millions of us to another one would take unheard of cost, resources and effort. Plus, we'll have to go much further than Mars to protect the human race from the sun's eventual super nova. We have a LONG LONG way to go...

Atom
13-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Either you've faith in the longevity of the human race or you're being sarcastic, I cannot tell which.

ewomack
13-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Now here's a fun topic. More fun than even Wallmart... I doubt that the human race is a permanent fixture in the firmament. We're far too fragile and we have no desire as a collective to admit that. Plus we're so busy trying to outmaneuver each other that we miss our interdependence. As our consciousness of our impermanence increases, this rather nasty tendency of ours seems to increase. "Hey! If we only have untold years left, we may as well enjoy them!!" This will likely do us in. That and the fact that our population has doubled in a mere matter of decades. 6.7 billion and counting... eek...

ewomack
13-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Nonetheless, I'm optimistic enough to think we could pull through if we get a real perspective on things...

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I think that the biggest mistake made by humans and walmart shoppers alike is that everything must always make sense.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:18 AM
That's why sex is so fun. Procreation makes no sense.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Why not can never trump why.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Am I ever afraid that I am going to die without ever having procreated myself?

No.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Procreation makes just as little sense as religion.

ewomack
13-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Yes. Sense is overrated. The things we most value most seem to make the least sense... sex is a great example... two people rub each other in a primordial and almost mechanic fashion and suddenly everything seems okay with the world...

ewomack
13-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Why would flesh rubbing make everything okay? It doesn't increase profits unless you're pimping...

ewomack
13-09-2009, 08:36 AM
And I haven't procreated either. Me worry? Nope.

ewomack
13-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Plenty of others have. And they did it well.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:44 AM
It seems procreation needs no purpose, well I say it does and I'll not comply until I know just exactly what I'm doing, I'm sorry.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Might I be bitter because the right woman has not landed in my lap?

Yes.

You may say but that's not the way it works, but I beg to differ.
Am I a stubborn good for nothing inhabitant of this earth?

Apparently.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I think that most people confuse love with procreation, just what the designers want.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Is it possible that I am actually smarter than the designers?

Possibly.

Atom
13-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Must we resort to odds at this point?

What else is there?

Atom
13-09-2009, 09:00 AM
What are the odds?

Always the burning question.

Atom
13-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Just another trick of the designers, I suspect.

Atom
13-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Is it possible to confound Confucious?

Absolutely.

ewomack
13-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Yes, both Zhuangzi and Laozi did...

ewomack
13-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Animal attraction, yes... is that what we are and no more?

Pumping bosoms and pelvic regions replicating our DNA all over counter tops and airplane bathrooms?

ewomack
13-09-2009, 09:07 AM
It seems like it. Some biologist once said "Life is all about replicating our DNA. Many people like to think it's about something else, but..."

ewomack
13-09-2009, 09:08 AM
But something emotional tells me there is more... maybe we're programmed to believe it? Maybe that's why I listened to Motley Crue in Junior High?

ewomack
13-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I would like some other explanation apart from the fact that I actually liked it...

ewomack
13-09-2009, 09:09 AM
There would lie real metaphysical solitude...

ewomack
13-09-2009, 09:09 AM
The meaning of life? Well, in one way...

OJrSyFpK3iQ

Muddy
13-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Animal attraction, yes... is that what we are and no more?

Pumping bosoms and pelvic regions replicating our DNA all over counter tops and airplane bathrooms?

That reminds me, Ju should be in France by now.

Atom
13-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Do you suppose that in the future a good majority of people's most important companions will be cyberpeoplez?

ewomack
13-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I consider all of you virtual cyberpeople... so yes...