PDA

View Full Version : American the something or other...

ewomack
09-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Wow are things getting bizarre here...

Congresswoman shot and Palin's 'Hit List' (http://mylatinovoice.com/politics-and-us/23-education/2595-gabrielle-giffords-shot-palins-hit-list-shooter-jared-laughne)

Strong
09-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Woh! That's just crazy. Palin must be pilloried for this, although one crazy fool taking her literally in this way can't really be laid at her door.

I was think when I first heard about the shooting and before you posted the above that the shooting was just another indication of the unbalanced nature of politics in America today. If anything it reminds me of politics in India and the craziness between the religious factions there. There isn't the same level of violence, but the extreme is there.

But this is just one event and to draw conclusions from it would be fool hardy. I'm inclined, at this stage, to put it down to the workings of one deranged mind, although Palin's is suspect in my opinion as well.

vectro
10-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm inclined, at this stage, to put it down to the workings of one deranged mind

That's what I think. I heard chatter on the news about violent video games, etc. If video games, movies and political debates didn't exist, a violent person with mental illness could end being triggered by anything else. The shooter clearly has problems. I also heard on the news that he's fully invoked his 5th amendment rights and is not talking to federal authorities at all. He's due in court today.

As much as I dislike them, I don't blame Sara Palin or Joe Manchin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJORBRpOPM). However, I still think political ads with gun metaphors could be toned down or even ended altogether.

Strong
10-01-2011, 01:15 PM
You make a good point, I watch so called violent films and play violent games, but to my knowledge I haven't shot anyone in the head. I may have felt like it, but I know the difference between fantasy and the real world. And I suspect that being a fairly normal kind of person, the vast majority of people are like me and would not be tipped over the edge by such media. The guy must have been a nut job, 100% solid squirrel fodder.

How would you legislate against this type of thing? Well I don't think you can. You can't ban films and games, you can't restrict them; the guy was over 18 so would presumably have access to them even if you did. What could you do; have a psychological profile done of everybody that wants to watch a movie? Ban guns; this is America!!! And even if you did, he could have got access to a knife, or pitchfork, iron bar, big stick, rock. Perhaps all politicians should be locked away from the people they represent and be vetted before allowing them access. My fear is that this is the most likely possibility in the paranoid America of today. I hope I'm wrong.

BTW last year an English MP, Timms, I think he was called, got stabbed by one of his constituents during a normal surgery meeting. She was making a terrorist statement, and is now locked away behind bars. My point is, this is not an isolated event, it happens everywhere from time to time.

vectro
13-01-2011, 02:16 PM
How would you legislate against this type of thing? Well I don't think you can. You can't ban films and games, you can't restrict them

Right, you can't ban free speech or guns in America.

Perhaps all politicians should be locked away from the people they represent and be vetted before allowing them access. My fear is that this is the most likely possibility in the paranoid America of today. I hope I'm wrong.

That's something else that's been discussed by American MSM. Technically, the people own the White House and the Congress building. It's the law that we're allowed to be a part of the process. That's why we're allowed access to both. They should still step up security.

The shooter in AZ was able to buy a gun despite his criminal and psychological background because permits are not required to purchase a handgun in AZ. Even if guns can't be banned, there's no law against legislating gun safety. Mike Barnicle (http://www.mikebarnicle.com/) also made the point that Democrats (who are traditionally more anti-gun than Republicans) should not refer to their agenda as gun control. For political marketing purposes, they should call it gun safety and call for stricter background checks on people who want to purchase guns. I'm not into guns, but I know responsible rational owners of legal guns who have been trained to use them. One is a highly decorated veteran for example. I don't think he poses a threat to anyone.

Ferre
13-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah right,..."not" political, just a "nutter", that's why he targets a congresswoman. <insert sarcastic smilie here>

Of course the guy's motives were political, and of course he is a nutter.

David Greenberg shares my sentiment on this one; Jared Loughner: Of course his actions were politically motivated. - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com/id/2280697/)

vectro
15-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah right,..."not" political, just a "nutter", that's why he targets a congresswoman. <insert sarcastic smilie here>

Of course the guy's motives were political, and of course he is a nutter.

David Greenberg shares my sentiment on this one; Jared Loughner: Of course his actions were politically motivated. - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com/id/2280697/)

I see your point there.