PDA

View Full Version : For my Canadian friends - money for nothing

Ferre
13-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I was just reading this article; Dire Straits' 'Money for Nothing' should be censored, broadcast panel rules - Yahoo! News (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/dire-straits-money-nothing-censored-broadcast-panel-rules-20110112-175448-551.html)

OTTAWA - The 1980s song "Money for Nothing" by the British rock band Dire Straits has been deemed unacceptable for play on Canadian radio.

In a ruling released Wednesday, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council says the song contravenes the human rights clauses of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code.

A listener to radio station CHOZ-FM in St. John's, N.L., complained last year that the song includes the word "faggot" in its lyrics and is discriminatory to gays.

The broadcaster argued that the song had been played countless times since its release decades ago and has won music industry awards.

A CBSC panel concluded that the word "faggot," even if once acceptable, has evolved to become unacceptable in most circumstances.

The panel noted that "Money for Nothing" would be acceptable for broadcast if suitably edited.

Just to piss that bunch of censoring faggots at the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council off, here's a video.

dlPjxz4LGak

FAGGOTS! :)

pctec
13-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Most people in Ottawa are moron politicians... wtf do they know anyway? Its not like they have a sense of reality or anything ;)

pctec
13-01-2011, 05:36 PM
On a side note, I wish politicians would just FUCK OFF!

Cryren8972
13-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Isn't Dire Straights, in that song, actually being very tongue in cheek. I believe the line is...well, that little faggot he's a millionaire. In other words....watch who you call a faggot. I don't like the word either...but once again, should a word be banned because someone doesn't like it?

ewomack
13-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Interesting... a new forbidden word for our times... things just keep staying the same, don't they?

ewomack
13-01-2011, 07:25 PM
What about a jingle for faggots and peas? Could that get aired?

http://www.freewebs.com/grayt42/711px-Mr-Brains-Faggots-Pack.jpg

ewomack
13-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey... he didn't sing the original words in that video... whoa... he cleaned it up... perhaps someone retroactively censored the words? Anything is possible in our age of wonders...

pctec
13-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I suppose if we banned a song every time someone didn't like a word in the lyrics, there would be none left to play.

Has anyone here wondered why cocaine was muted in this song...
rKFx0MMqb48

However it is not in this song...
fdDhV45lYHU&ob

Hypocrisy, that's why...

I am tired of being censored and told what to listen to...

Ferre
14-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Isn't Dire Straights, in that song, actually being very tongue in cheek. I believe the line is...well, that little faggot he's a millionaire. In other words....watch who you call a faggot. I don't like the word either...but once again, should a word be banned because someone doesn't like it?

In England the word faggot is not exclusively a word to describe gays. In fact it is more commonly used to describe faggots.

Strong
14-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Of course in the song the word is used to insinuate in a derogatory way that the pop star is a homosexual. But Ferre is right, the word faggot/fagot has numerous meanings, e.g. a bundle of wood and is used, though not so often these days.

Zap
14-01-2011, 04:03 PM
This whole thing is retarded.
They've been playing the song for 25 years already?!?!? All of a sudden it's offensive? WTF?

Muddy
14-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey... he didn't sing the original words in that video... whoa... he cleaned it up... perhaps someone retroactively censored the words? Anything is possible in our age of wonders...

He sure didn't....hmm.

ewomack
15-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm so angry I could eat faggots...

Strong
16-01-2011, 05:47 AM
I'm not touching that with a barge pole.

Halo
16-01-2011, 06:16 AM
This whole thing is retarded.
They've been playing the song for 25 years already?!?!? All of a sudden it's offensive? WTF?

Zap's been sucking fags for 25+ years (http://btwimho.com/showthread.php?t=3766) already?!?!? All of a sudden he stops? WTF?

:3wink:

Strong
16-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Are you saying, "all things must come to an end".