PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis Sativa - Why we love it!

Ferre
26-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Any modern self-respecting forum on the internets should at least have one topic devoted to the praise of this sacred plant. Yes I say; 'sacred'. Cannabis Sativa played a major role in every religion in the Old World from the dawn of civilization until the Dark Ages when its sacramental use was prohibited by Emperor Theodosius of the Holy Roman Empire. Today multitudes are rediscovering the spiritual virtues of this most useful of all plants.

Apart from it's 'spiritual' properties (that what we name 'stoned' is in fact a highly spiritual experience) this plant has all sorts of other uses which are, and can be beneficial to us humans, like...

(Video has a rather misleading title)

nCAym9bnI8Y

And here is some history...

zfiaC-2K1LM

n4NYBIIwYjU

Free da weed! :rockon::peace::cheer2::hippie:

Ferre
26-09-2009, 07:44 AM
A little video that was aired on UK television, is weed and driving as dangerous as alcohol and driving? tests suggest not, tests suggest the opposite, apparently weed makes people drive more careful...

t3zou4F00Ic

julien_simon
26-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I also drive pretty slow when I hammered. Does it make me a better driver? I think not.

Ferre
26-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Apparently being high is now labelled a mental disorder. :sqlaugh:

Nbx4m5b7KLU

Ferre
26-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I also drive pretty slow when I hammered. Does it make me a better driver? I think not.

Does it make you a worse driver? or just more slow?

Me, and I can only talk for myself, drive more than 30 years accident free on the European roads already, and I'm not even a slow driver, I also receive the occasional ticket for 4-5 miles above the limit like anyone else and I have been driving and smoking weed all my life, I even have a 80% no claim bonus on my car insurance and I blame weed for not having accidents, I'm much more focussed when I'm high and also much more relaxed while my reflexes are not at all impaired, I also play sports like tennis and some martial arts while high, stuff that needs you to be sharp and find being high more of an addition than an impairment.

julien_simon
26-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Does it make you a worse driver? or just more slow?

Me, and I can only talk for myself, drive more than 30 years accident free on the European roads already, and I'm not even a slow driver, I also receive the occasional ticket for 4-5 miles above the limit like anyone else and I have been driving and smoking weed all my life, I even have a 80% no claim bonus on my car insurance and I blame weed for not having accidents, I'm much more focussed when I'm high and also much more relaxed while my reflexes are not at all impaired, I also play sports like tennis and some martial arts while high, stuff that needs you to be sharp and find being high more of an addition than an impairment.

it all depends on how you handle your weed. That's why I believe a statement like: smoking/drinking and driving is not dangerous.

I haven't had an accident yet either (fingers crossed) but I have driven hammered when I was younger and it was the most dangerous driving I've done because even if I drove slower, my reflexes were probably even slower which would have make me react slower than driving on regular speed sober.

I also have a friend who I play soccer with and he does everything high.

I just don't think it should be told as not dangerous because one day, somebody who reads this and doesn't handle the weed well is going to be in trouble, and perhaps hurting others too.

Atom
26-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I also drive pretty slow when I hammered. Does it make me a better driver? I think not.This is not about being hammered on alcohol.

Atom
26-09-2009, 07:46 PM
it all depends on how you handle your weed. That's why I believe a statement like: smoking/drinking and driving is not dangerous.

I haven't had an accident yet either (fingers crossed) but I have driven hammered when I was younger and it was the most dangerous driving I've done because even if I drove slower, my reflexes were probably even slower which would have make me react slower than driving on regular speed sober.

I also have a friend who I play soccer with and he does everything high.

I just don't think it should be told as not dangerous because one day, somebody who reads this and doesn't handle the weed well is going to be in trouble, and perhaps hurting others too.You are confusing alcohol and weed, please don't do that, they are apples and oranges, Julien, seriously.

Atom
26-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Weed consumption is not dangerous. Alcohol consumption is.

Atom
26-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm going to be frank with you, alcohol consumption does open the mind in certain respects, but it is dangerous. It can cause incoherence (something that weed consumption does NOT do), and it possesses real addiction potential (something that weed consumption does NOT). Weed does not have addiction potential.

Big Dan
26-09-2009, 08:53 PM
i don't think weed is any more dangerous then alcohol or tobacco. I say legalize it or ban alcohol and tobacco. Oh I forgot all our Senators (over here in the states) like to booze it up and smoke cigars so it's okay.

Atom
26-09-2009, 09:00 PM
i don't think weed is any more dangerous then alcohol or tobacco. (...)Then you are mistaken, sir. Read my lips...

weed is not dangerous. Understand now? Alcohol and tobacco is.

Big Dan
26-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't know Atom. I've seen some people get pretty stupid on weed acting just like they would if they were drunk only a little more mellow. When I used to smoke I'd just got stupid, hungry, then passed out. :sqlaugh:

Atom
26-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I actually am only trying convey a simple fact, but the people are apparently so brainwashed that they can't accept it as such, but I am here to tell you that this indeed is a fact. That is quite understandable though. There has been near a century of misinformation puked upon us.

Big Dan
26-09-2009, 09:09 PM
I actually am only trying convey a simple fact, but the people are apparently so brainwashed that you can't accept it. That is quite understandable. There has been near a century of misinformation puked upon us.

I don't think that it's all that dangerous I mean at least not what they force fed us in school to believe.. I still wouldn't want some stoned guy driving a school bus like Otto on the Simpsons. :D

Personal consumption so long as you're not driving or doing anything that could endanger others (as with Alcohol) is cool.. Knock yourself out. :)

Atom
26-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't know Atom. I've seen some people get pretty stupid on weed acting just like they would if they were drunk only a little more mellow. When I used to smoke I'd just got stupid, hungry, then passed out. :sqlaugh:This post is nothing but a (hopefully) ignorant generalization. I'm sorry, Dan.

Atom
26-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't think that it's all that dangerous I mean at least not what they force fed us in school to believe.. I still wouldn't want some stoned guy driving a school bus like Otto on the Simpsons. :D

Personal consumption so long as you're not driving or doing anything that could endanger others (as with Alcohol) is cool.. Knock yourself out. :)Wrong answer. You still don't get it. Sorry, dude, you are WAY off base.

Atom
26-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm sure you are under the impression that straight is better than altered, behind the wheel, but one of those videos that Ferre posted is evidence that this is not true. You should watch that video.

Atom
26-09-2009, 09:31 PM
off topic

Humankind will see big changes when the epigenome is mapped.

/off topic

Atom
26-09-2009, 11:58 PM
I think that Ferre put it rather accurately one time as I remember, he said that it's not impairment, it's enhancement. And he is right.

Ferre
27-09-2009, 04:51 AM
I don't know Atom. I've seen some people get pretty stupid on weed...

Let me tell you that the most stupid people I have ever met all are the straights, people that do not use weed. Whether it is stupid politics or other massively stupid stuff, usually it is done by non-users.

Also, people who are high on weed in general do not start bar fights, wars, or any other act of aggression, they don't come home high and beat up their wives and children and so on.

...UNLESS there is alcohol involved, weed doesn't help any more to mellow someone out when they also drink, alcohol over-rules weed when combined, it makes people drunk anyway, with all the consequences that come with it.

Atom
27-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I am currently and deeply embedded in an exciting lawnmower repair adventure, my grass is about 2 feet tall. It's a bit of a complicated one, the damned frame cracked, right in an area where I am forced to adhere to strict calculations due to crowding causing space limitations. It's one of those deals where I can fix it but everything has to be perfect, and this is so because I don't have a welder, otherwise I'd be done the repair by now.

Muddy
27-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Gotta be a welder you could borrow for an hour. Or a welding Tennessean who'd like to touch it with his rod a few times?

Zap
28-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Apparently being high is now labelled a mental disorder. :sqlaugh:

Nbx4m5b7KLU

She's kinda cute. I was waiting for her to do the "Sharon Stone Thing". :sqlaugh:

Atom
28-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Gotta be a welder you could borrow for an hour. Or a welding Tennessean who'd like to touch it with his rod a few times?I finished the job last night around 10:30 pm, it took me all day, I knew it would. I did another similar repair and an unrelated repair as well. My nephew just took the car to go to work, so now I have to wait for his brother's girlfriend to show up to get a jump start as the mower battery is no good, and my neighbor is at work as well. Leaves are starting to fall, must mow soon.

Strong
28-09-2009, 01:24 PM
If you spin the word mow 180 degrees around the centre of the 'o', it reads, mow.

I've been digging up daisies from my lawn. Big ugly %&*^$*£! I'm tired and my fork is all bent cos of the stones under the grass. It is a stainless steel one at that. I can almost stand it up on the forks on the patio without any support.

I tried to straighten them out, but the prongs are stronger than any pipe I have. I don't want to have to buy a new one.

Muddy
28-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I tried to straighten them out, but the prongs are stronger than any pipe I have. I don't want to have to buy a new one.

Atom'll get this sorted out for ya in a jiff. He's a genius with this kind of thing.

krisma5
28-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Maybe you should carve one out of stone?

Strong
28-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Last time I tried I kept braking the prongs during the carving process. Even the wooden one was better. The one made of straw was useless btw.

krisma5
28-09-2009, 02:00 PM
you must have been blowing too much.

Strong
28-09-2009, 02:08 PM
It is fair to say I'm in a bit of a huff over the condition of my fork!

krisma5
28-09-2009, 02:13 PM
lol

&

!

(copying muddy)

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Being an ex prolific smoker...I've often wondered why alcohol is legal, and pot isn't. I'd much rather frequent a bar full of potheads than full of drunks...

Ferre
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
jKSzm8i1ekw

Cryren8972
02-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I can't view this at work, and my curiosity is killing me.
Any way I could talk you into giving a brief summary of content?

Ferre
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
It's a song. The human Revolution is a band's name.

Muddy
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
It's a topless guy in a pot patch playing the guitar and singing a rather cleverly written song about how cannabis would make the whole world better in many ways if it were allowed to.

Muddy
02-10-2009, 09:53 AM
oops, Ferre beat me!

The difference between me and Ferre:

Me: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Ferre: It's a song.

LOL!

Strong
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
^ That made me giggle like a girl!

Cryren8972
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
blah blah blah stated in multiple tones with a beat behind it...could technically be a song. Couldn't it?

Muddy
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
blah blah blah stated in multiple tones with a beat behind it...could technically be a song. Couldn't it?

jgvQzEPDRNw

Ferre
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM

I think that actually has been done once and even hit the charts. :sqlaugh:

Cryren8972
02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
jgvQzEPDRNw

I so wish I could see this....
guess I'll have to use that imagination of mine...:sqerr:

Muddy
02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
"Blahbarians"! lol!

Ferre
20-10-2009, 10:23 AM
sknoKWsVlAA

Atom
20-10-2009, 06:00 PM
That is a good video, funnier than heck too. Took me forever to watch it but was definitely worth it, downloading a bit slow today I guess.

Muddy
20-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah I only made it through about a quarter and had to split...will try to finish it tonight. Excellent video.

ewomack
21-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Interesting video... the US has had a long term love/hate relationship with the stuff. I didn't know that Carter ran on decriminalization, for one. I barely remember my brother cranking Cheech & Chong records. It is a strange history.

Ferre
21-10-2009, 07:56 PM
In Pot We Trust - Showtime documentary

Atom
21-10-2009, 08:00 PM
My neighbor mentioned this film, I'll watch it this very second. I told him I would check it out on the net, he doesn't have the net, but I never googled it, I put it off. Now I'll get a chance to check it out, thanks Ferre.

Ferre
21-10-2009, 08:19 PM
To be honest I have not seen it yet but a friend of me told me it was the best documentary on medical weed ever and I can trust his opinion.

I'm going to watch it later too.

Atom
21-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Pretty good, a bit much of the sympathy angle though I thought, the shit should be legal, period, never mind for medical reasons, that's just peripheral.

Atom
21-10-2009, 09:37 PM
No one should need a medical reason to use weed, no one. That's just ridiculous.

Ferre
22-10-2009, 07:04 AM
No one should need a medical reason to use weed, no one. That's just ridiculous.

I totally agree.

When Cannabis was de facto legalized* in the Netherlands there was NEVER any mentioning or the use of the words "medical Cannabis". NEVER!

WE (the Dutch) never divided the use and users into recreational and "medical" groups, that's just plain stupid. This is about legalisation of a PLANT,..."NATURE", not about petty people needing medicine and compassion, this is about the fundamental right to put stuff in YOUR OWN BODY, this is about the fundamental right to alter one's brains as they see fit for themselves, this is about the fundamental right of sovereignty of your own body and mind.

When weed is legal, ANYONE can use it, for medicinal, recreational, spiritual or whatever other reasons people have, their reasons don't matter, their reasons are their own private property too and none of the state's business, that's how Dutch people approach this issue, with the known result.

It was years after it was already legal here when medicinal cannabis became a political issue, and this was only because of the question whether people who used it for medicinal reasons should be refunded by their health insurance (We have universal health insurance here) and that's when laws for medicinal cannabis were constructed.

The American approach to legalisation, by dividing the users into groups with different interest is WRONG, and I have little respect for the way organisations like NORML have handled the legalization issue in America, they are more of a saboteur than of help.

I swear, given the money and the time NORML has had to legalize Cannabis in the USA, if I had been there with those resources weed would have been legal in the USA for decades already, just like here. Our method has a proven track record, while NORML has a proven record of appeasing the government and stereotyping the movement as "potheads" and keeping it OUT of the mainstream.

Our approach was completely the other way around, we forced it mainstream by eliminating the stereotype, we got mainstream support because we ARE mainstream. That message somehow is too complicated for the guys at NORML because I have been telling them for more than 15 years already and they still don't get it.

(*full legalisation was not possible due to international law and that's the only reason for the weird "gedoogbeleid" construction we have)

Ferre
22-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Here's some history on our laws by Ben Dronkers, owner of the Sensi seed bank and HempFlax, the largest industrial hemp company in the Netherlands

History of Cannabis in Holland (http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/cannabisinholland.html)

Ferre
22-10-2009, 07:44 PM
For those who still believe the (UK) government's tale that it makes you 'crazy'; Minimal Relationship Between Cannabis And Schizophrenia Or Psychosis, Suggested By New Study (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091022101538.htm)

Cryren8972
23-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I had never, before today, heard that cannabis had a connection with schitzophrenia at all. Having smoked pot, I don't see how it's possible. I'm going to google and see how they came up with this ludicrous idea to begin with. I've had my share of marijuana induced paranoia...but it stemmed from being afraid of being arrested (which wouldn't be an issue if it were legal to begin with) I imagine that anyone that was smoking pot and "became" schitzophrenic was already knocking on schitzo's door anyway.

Strong
23-10-2009, 08:03 AM
The suggestion is, as I understand it, that those under a certain age who smoke cannabis, can develop mental problems, including schizophrenia. It is predominantly those in their teens I believe.

Ferre
23-10-2009, 08:49 AM
The suggestion is, as I understand it, that those under a certain age who smoke cannabis, can develop mental problems, including schizophrenia. It is predominantly those in their teens I believe.

Bullshit as well. The research that has been done on the effects on children show a whole different result;

Does marijuana really harm children? Study yields surprising results (http://www.examiner.com/x-26780-Boston-NORML-Examiner~y2009m10d21-Does-marijuana-really-harm-children-Study-shows-surprising-results)

"Our testing showed that the children of women who used ganja had better alertness, stability and adjustment than children of women who didn't use ganja. This was measured at the age of one month. We measured children again at four years and at five years of age, and found that there were no apparent deficits in the children of marijuana-using mothers. In fact, in many ways, they were better off than children of non-smoking mothers. The ganja-using mothers also seemed better off than non-users." - Dr. Melanie Dreher

And this (2004) study on the Psychological and social sequelae of cannabis and other illicit drug use by young people: a systematic review of longitudinal, general population studies (http://www.thc-ministry.net/downloads/cannabis.pdf) had this to say in the comments (http://www.thc-ministry.net/downloads/cannabis-comm.pdf) by the authors of the study;

How to prevent cannabis-induced
psychological distress . . . in politicians

Cannabis can cause anxiety, agitation, and anger among
politicians. The consequences of this cannabis-induced
psychological distress syndrome (CIPDS) include overreaction
with respect to legislation and politics and a
lack of distinction between use and misuse of cannabis.
In times of a war against drugs, this distinction might
even be regarded as unpatriotic,1 as irresoluteness in the
face of the enemy. One trend associated with CIPDS
involves taking away the driving licence of people who
drive and are discovered to have inactive tetrahydrocannabinol
metabolites in their urine.2 In a more severe
state of paranoia even medicinal use can be perceived as
a threat to society, since it might “destabilize the societal
norm that drug use is dangerous”,3 ignoring the fact that
many prescription and over-the-counter drugs are
potentially harmful. Exaggerated laws on cannabis made
by anxious individuals could be regarded as a modern
version of the generational conflict.4
Rationality and factuality are needed to calm down
politicians affected by CIPDS. That cannabis might
cause infertility, cancer, cognitive decline, dependency,
traffic accidents, and heart attacks, and that it can lead
to the use of more dangerous drugs, are all arguments
that have been used to justify the war on cannabis.
Drugs can be harmful, whether they are legal or illegal,
but claims about the dangers of cannabis are often
overstated.

In their research they did not find any bad effects on children but did find the imaginary effects of cannabis projected on children by politicians.

:sqlaugh:

Atom
23-10-2009, 01:31 PM
For those who still believe the (UK) government's tale that it makes you 'crazy'; (...)Well they don't call it loco weed for nothing, of course it makes you crazy, everyone knows that. Hell, look at me for god sakes, I'm pretty sure it's all weed's fault.

Atom
23-10-2009, 01:38 PM
My neighbor just dropped off a stereo for me to fix that belongs to someone he works with, lovely. I'll probably charge him 20 bucks, people are damn poor down here.

Atom
23-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Pot is such a strange word. What genius came up with that one? lol

Ferre
23-10-2009, 04:29 PM

No one knows. :sqlaugh:

Pot The Word Detective (http://www.word-detective.com/2008/07/14/pot/)

Atom
23-10-2009, 04:37 PM
"Probably coined by Jack Webb."

I kinda figured it was around that Dragnet era that I first started hearing it, and speaking of fruit loops, Jack was one of my favorites. I think us hippies should have us one of them sit-ins where we burn a scarecrow of Jack Webb in effigy.
:sqlaugh:

Muddy
23-10-2009, 04:42 PM

I've wondered that ever so often. My guess was that it had Asian origins.

Ferre
23-10-2009, 04:46 PM
This guy?

_Twre6ItGEI

Atom
23-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I've wondered that ever so often. My guess was that it had Asian origins.

Them damn Asians, always coming up with these crazy names, lol. Hey I had a Chinese brush pot I sold at an antique show once, I paid 10 bucks for it, it was bamboo, just a plain one but definitely 19th century. I sold it for a hundred and that was cheap, I left some room for the next guy..

Muddy
23-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Wow he talks fast. I've never heard anyone cram so much tripe into so few seconds.

Muddy
23-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Jack Webb that is.

Atom
23-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah that's a classic, that guy will apparently say anything for money. LOL

Ferre
23-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Who wrote those lines anyway? Harry Anslinger? :sqeek:

Muddy
23-10-2009, 04:54 PM
LOL!

Ferre
23-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Just found this one;

GB9rNhwofvI

Ferre
23-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Here's Dr Bob Melamede, one of the world's leading experts on the endocannabinoid system on getting high;

PxYYxKo5hos

Here's his homepage at the University; Home | WELCOME to Dr. Bob's Homepage (http://www.uccs.edu/~rmelamed/)

And this video here will change how you look at politics and politicians forever;

sg4QejFDGwM

Muddy
31-10-2009, 01:43 AM
http://boxofbooty.com/image/84

Ferre
21-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Specially for Damo, Aussie tunes, performed in Ireland;

e6U3Wq-3jy0

Brian
22-12-2009, 10:09 PM
A big reason why I love weed: it is a beautiful plant. :)

Damo
23-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Apart from it's 'spiritual' properties (that what we name 'stoned' is in fact a highly spiritual experience ) this plant has all sorts of other uses which are, and can be beneficial to us humans, like...

I agree Ferre, but it just seems nowdays the Cannabis market in Australia is very criminal gang controlled and dominated, mainly by hydroponics grown under lights indoors.

It's a Billion dollar industry.

Ferre, when you say "highly spiritual experience" I argee, but for people who buy off the dealers or travel a lot that cannot grow their own, etc... so they buy the commerical hydro weed.

That's what puts me off these days, haven't smoked weed for years, used to be a heavy smoker and muncher, ate a lot of weed through my cooking.

I just find the commericial weed these days not a "highly spiritual experience" they are pumped up full of hydroponic infused chemicals, they leave me feel bit dirty and paranoid. They just don't flush them with water for last few weeks of their growing stage, before they are pulled out for drying and to sell on the market.

So I just no longer get involved in the cannabis culture in Australia, just can't be bothered.

I just miss those old style outdoor mellow weed before the cops in Australia became Americanized and used their tactics to raid outdoor farms.

Because with hydro in Australia you have a half joint or couple of cones/pipes you just get way too wasted and you just end up staying at home doing nothing stoned out of you pickle.

With old style Aussie outdoor grown, you could have a joint and few beers, be nicely mellow baked all afternoon and still function to have conversation, do duties around the house such as you wake up Sunday morning have a big hearty Sunday english breakfast, have a nap on the couch, then lunch time, have a beer and fire up a nice mellow joint and mow the lawns or do you usual potting around the house and do things in mellow relaxed state of mind, and have couple more beers with mates or relatives or neighors.

But with the hydro in Australia, you just get way too toasted and stare at the TV for hours and hours.

It's just way too fucked up, thats why it's getting harder to legalise cannabis in Australia because of Hydro and the effects seen on the population they just get retarded.

But on other hand.... people say potent weed is better for health due they "need to smoke less" and that rah rah but the way I see it, it's still too potent to enjoy, but the "highly spiritual experience" is slowly enjoy the smoke and let it take its time, not couple of puffs or cones and your in coma.

But hey... again everyone has different views when it comes to cannabis, just the same with any other drug, all legal, illegal, natural and man made....

Atom
23-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Lordy yes, just keep that good potent weed away from me. LOL!

Muddy
07-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Will 2010 Be the Year California Becomes the New Amsterdam? | AMOG (http://amog.com/lifestyle/california-2020-amsterdam/)

Ferre
08-01-2010, 05:07 PM
For those who are curious as why Cannabis became such an "illegal drug", despite centuries of recorded medicinal, recreational and religious use I strongly recommend to read this article;

http://www.serendipity.li/wod/nsmith_forew.htm

It will open your eyes, I promise.

julien_simon
08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I read it with my eyes closed....it didn't open my eyes.

fake advertising!

Rankenstein
11-01-2010, 05:52 AM
I've said this before, but when I've been banging my head against a cryptic crossword for an hour or so and getting nowhere, I've often found that having a smoke of the good stuff helps me get at the answers much more easily.

(About twice a week I head over to my friend's house and we do the crosswords, play Scrabble and drink wine. And smoke plenty of spliff into the bargain. Really racy stuff, you don't want to mess with the pot-smoking word-game posse!)