PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 676



vectro
31-05-2011, 11:03 PM
H.R. 676 has more co-sponsors (55 of them) (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:HR00676:@@@P) than it did in 2009 (http://www.correntewire.com/30_cosponsors_hr_676), but not enough public awareness.

It was put forward by Congressman John Conyers because not all politicians in America are 100% evil all of the time. This bill has been referred to the subcomitte of Health, but has not yet been approved to be put up for a vote. This is always where bills and resolutions die. They get tied up in subcomittee limbo forever.

H.R. 676 is also called "Expanded & Improved Medicare for All", and it does just that. It extends Medicare for everyone of any age starting at birth instead of only for people who are 55 and older. Don't forget, America already has a European/Candian style healthcare system that works! It's called Medicare and senior citizens love it. Every time a republican wants to change medicare, senior citizens in their distcricts go to town hall meetings and call them out on it, sometimes nicely and sometimes not so much....

SrzTu6fK0mk

ghnstYr3dZg

xrbQo8hD5eI

...and the town hall meetings go on like that across America. If you search YouTube for "Medicare Town Halls" (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=medicare+town+halls&aq=f) there are a lot more like this. Those videos don't exactly have anything to do with H.R. 676, but I posted them to to show that medicare recipients don't want Republicans to change medicare. In other words, Medicare works for them, so why not for everyone else?

Paul Ryan's budget plan is toxic and it's a fraud. It replaces the full Medicare benefits with an $8,000 voucher, not enough to pay for long term health care for senior citizens. Those senior citizens have been paying into social security and medicare for their entire adult lives. According to Dylan Ratigan, The Ryan budget plan also claims that it will drop unemployment to 2.8%, which is not possible based on historical data of uneployment rates. Ratigan says that's the dead giveaway that the Ryan plan is a fraud.

H.R. 676 would extend medicare - a system that works and the recipients very much like - to anyone of any age. A simple tax increase on the 2% wealthiest in the country and spending less money on defense can cover the costs. You can keep the tax breaks for the other 98% because things are still tough economically for the middle class and even worse for people below the poverty line, but the other 2% at the top don't need those huge tax breaks any more. GE paid $0 in taxes for 2010 and somehow it's legal. (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/general-electric-paid-federal-taxes-2010/story?id=13224558) :sqmad:

I hope H.R. 676 gets passed before the zombie outbreak.

Big Dan
31-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Well the big issue with Medicare for me as someone who has an elderly mother is that it doesn't cover chit. Mom gets 90 something dollars a month deducted out of her Social Security retirement check for 'extra coverage' yet every time she sees a doctor or has blood work done we get a partial bill. She needs heart surgery that costs in excess of $150,000 and we'd be responsible for about $60,000 that we cannot afford.

All prescriptions are paid for out of pocket. If mom only had her Social Security retirement to live on she'd have to choose between food and medication that's keeping her going.

It's a shame people like my mom worked all their lives with the promise of Medicare when they're old. Coverage is always changing and Uncle Sam is always taking away more and more. It's just a shame.

The system could work but they need to get greedy HMOs out of the picture. That will never happen because they've got a huge lobby.

vectro
31-05-2011, 11:57 PM
every time she sees a doctor or has blood work done we get a partial bill.

All the more reason to hope Republicans don't kill Medicare, which is what they're attempting to do. There would be even less coverage under the Ryan plan than there is now. Though, the Ryan plan probably wouldn't get passed the mostly Democrat Senate and the Democrat president, who already said he would veto it. Maybe they're hoping for a Republican super-majority in 2012 so they can end it altogether.

Under the Clinton administration, defense spending was half of what it is now. Taxes for the 2% wealthiest were higher under the Clinton administration than they are now. I'd rather the tax money go to your mother's heart surgery and many other sick people here at home rather than wars overseas. I don't feel bad for the extremely wealthy if they have to pay, either.

pctec
01-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Big Dan - the sad truth is the gov does not care one dame about old people or sick people. They only care about taxpayers.

Strong
01-06-2011, 12:32 PM
But surely only if the dame is a taxpayer? :sqwink: