PDA

View Full Version : Obama and PETA

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 08:51 AM
PETA wishes Obama hadn't swatted that fly (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/17/peta-wishes-obama-hadnt-s_n_217162.html)

I wonder if they take antibiotics. If a life is a life is a life, and killing chickens is the same as killing a child...then wouldn't it stand to reason that killing an innocent bacteria is murder? =)

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I meant to put this in the General chat section...sigh....

Zap
30-09-2009, 09:02 AM
It was but I moved it.
With mention of Peta and Obama, it seemed like it belongs here.

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 09:21 AM
It was but I moved it.
With mention of Peta and Obama, it seemed like it belongs here.

Now I don't feel so mushy minded then...thought I was losing my mind. Although there may be strong evidence I am :sqrofl:...nice to know I wasn't in this case anyway.

Atom
30-09-2009, 09:34 AM
"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can (emphasis mine) be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

Sounds reasonable enough, and apparently Obama just didn't happen to have a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher handy.

Zap
30-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I think that coming down on Obama for swatting a fly is ridiculous.
I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals and am a dog owner myself, but this is going too far.

What was he supposed to do?
Signal for a Secret Service team member to swoop in with his insect trap and wait until the fly was caught before carrying on with the interview?
Move the interview to another location due to "fly interference"?

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm all for animal rights too...but it's the age old question, Where do their rights end and mine begin? It's the challenge faced by lawmakers every day...and PETA likes to go overboard sometimes based less on actual conviction and more on publicity.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 11:18 AM
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Send those peta people down into a jungle, with no netting, no sprays.
See how long they love the mosquitos.

Or have them commune with the fire ants in Texas.

Or have them try to eat meat found in markets in many parts of the world that are covered in flies and other creatures.

Ferre
30-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I like animals mostly with just some salt and pepper. :armysmile:

Muddy
30-09-2009, 11:32 AM
There was a new president who swatted a fly. I don't know why he swatted the fly. Perhaps he'll be impeached.

I don't think it was so much his killing the fly as it was his calling the fly "sucka".

Ferre
30-09-2009, 11:33 AM
And for you animal lovers out there; I do eat rabbit and horse too. :armytongue:

...There. I've said it. :typing:

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Only reason we eat beef in the states?
Horses were too fast for us to catch.

Some, heck many, parts of the world....a delicacy is cat or dog.

Watch the Food or Travel Channel with the two Anthony's.
They eat stuff we kill here as pests.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Lunch time now....

Meat is on the menu!

Muddy
30-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I own horses as pets. I've also eaten horse meat. In Italy. It wasn't bad at all.

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm all for eating meat. I do believe animals should be treated more ethically before they're slaughtered for human consumption.
However...if there's a spider in my basement, I'm spraying.
If one of my birds gets sick beyond medical help and is suffering, I will have it put down.
No, I would not put down one of my children for the same reason.
=)

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm all for eating meat. I do believe animals should be treated more ethically before they're slaughtered for human consumption.
However...if there's a spider in my basement, I'm spraying.
If one of my birds gets sick beyond medical help and is suffering, I will have it put down.
No, I would not put down one of my children for the same reason.
=)

Same here...
Wife loves using hair spray to eliminate what she can not use a swatter for.

Have had to put down a few pets over time.
That is not ever a happy time!

Now kids, there have been times that the option does enter into one's mind.

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Now kids, there have been times that the option does enter into one's mind.

Yes, but those darn judges frown on it so much it's kept me from following through...:sqlaugh:

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Too many laws against stuff like that....

Heck, can't even dump them at the nearest orphanage.

Only option it seems is to send the kid or kids off to military school asap and leave them there until they are 21.

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 12:42 PM
There are a couple of states that will allow you to drop your children off without questions. Problem is, now they're working on a cut off age....

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Or stopped accepting kids from out of state!
Can't believe people would drive from say Georgia all the way to Nebraska just to unload a kid or kids.

Most states have a policy to accept babies with no questions asked.
Just drop them off at a hospital.
No names, no nothing.
Just drop the baby off.

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Or stopped accepting kids from out of state!
Can't believe people would drive from say Georgia all the way to Nebraska just to unload a kid or kids.

Most states have a policy to accept babies with no questions asked.
Just drop them off at a hospital.
No names, no nothing.
Just drop the baby off.

This is a sad world we're living in sometimes. I dunno if some people are just hard wired to be less or more caring toward their children. Money really can't be that much of an issue, what with the government always ready to lend a hand to those with it stuck out.

Zap
30-09-2009, 04:43 PM
This is a sad world we're living in sometimes. I dunno if some people are just hard wired to be less or more caring toward their children. Money really can't be that much of an issue, what with the government always ready to lend a hand to those with it stuck out.

If you truly love your children and feel a bond with them, then money is irrelevant.
Poor people will find a way to make things work.

Muddy
30-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I can't think of an acceptable reason to abandon one's children. Obviously if you're going to die or go to prison or something (ha!), you would make responsible arrangements, but not just leave them at a hospital. As far as money, there's nothing so humble that I wouldn't do it to support my kids if I had to.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Lot of times, it is not the money or cost of raising a child that makes some parents drop off their kids.

It is that the parents just do not want to have the problems associated with a kid.

Some stories I read about kids dropped off in Nebraska were not little kids, but teenagers.
They for a while accepted kids up to 17.

Muddy
30-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Lot of times, it is not the money or cost of raising a child that makes some parents drop off their kids.

It is that the parents just do not want to have the problems associated with a kid.

Some stories I read about kids dropped off in Nebraska were not little kids, but teenagers.
They for a while accepted kids up to 17.

Despicable.

Cryren8972
30-09-2009, 04:50 PM
If you truly love your children and feel a bond with them, then money is irrelevant.
Poor people will find a way to make things work.

Exactly! =)
I've had my share of poor single mom days....not once did it enter my mind to dump them somewhere.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 04:52 PM
So much I could say about raising kids come hell or high water.
Suffice to say, I survived and all my sisters survived.

Then my wife also came out okay.

You know Christmas is a happy one if you get a can of pork and beans.

Zap
30-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Exactly! =)
I've had my share of poor single mom days....not once did it enter my mind to dump them somewhere.

Most normal people think this way.

On the day my first was born, I became bonded to her for life.
Same with my second.
There is nothing that can change that.

Atom
30-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I've been trying to figure out why anyone, especially the president of the united states, would dump their kid on PETA's doorstep. I just think it's abhorrent.

Muddy
30-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I've been trying to figure out why anyone, especially the president of the united states, would dump their kid on PETA's doorstep. I just think it's abhorrent.

I was just wondering how we got to here from there! lol!

Atom
30-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Well I just think that the man should be impeached for such behavior, that is all.

Atom
30-09-2009, 06:01 PM
http://3t9.com/Atom/icon_imslow_non_an.gif

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I want proof of this!
None of this hidey-hidey as practiced by Hawaii on the birth certificate.

Muddy
30-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2009/09/28/moos.pope.spider.cnn)

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Not breaking news.
I saw it last night on the Colbert Report!

Stephen scooped CNN!!!!

Muddy
30-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Well...CNN broke that on the 28th...I just happened to post it tonight. :sqwink:

ewomack
30-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I broke wind tonight... that was special... my wife found it newsworthy...

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Will wait for Michelle to go naked with a sign that says:
Fur Does Not Cover My Body

Muddy
30-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Maybe she could do it while in Copenhagen lobbying for the Chicago Olympics.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 11:56 PM
That's right.
She is in the home city of all that snuff....

Maybe she will take up snuff as her hubby smokes.

She could spit on him and no one could tell.