PDA

View Full Version : SETI is 50

Strong
30-09-2009, 04:00 PM
The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence(SETI) is 50 years old. No extra terrestrial signals have been found so far.

Article: Telegraph - 10 key moments in the search for extraterrestrial life (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6240998/SETI-at-50-10-key-moments-in-the-search-for-extraterrestrial-life.html)

... one NASA scientist has predicted that it will find an alien signal by 2025.

Do you believe we will find extraterrestrial intelligence?

Zap
30-09-2009, 05:03 PM
The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence(SETI) is 50 years old. No extra terrestrial signals have been found so far.

They did find something called the WOW signal but it was never adequately explained.

I think that we will find life outside our planet some day.
Earth is not a particularly special planet and our sun is not a particularly special star.
There are "Earth like" planets and stars just like our sun all over the universe.

And, the notion that life needs an "Earth like" planet to take hold and survive is becoming antiquated anyway.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 05:06 PM
There is intelligent life out there.
They visited us once and found us too dumb to ever come back.
Though they tried to help us by giving us the wheel, the pyramid, and a few other items to get us on the road to smarts.

Years back, SETI had a program where you downloaded it to your computer and when your computer was not being used, the program would analyze whatever it was SETI gave it.
Wonder if they still do that?

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Odds of intelligent life?

Well, our little galaxy has on the order of 200 to 400 BILLION stars.
Total galaxies in the universe is on the order of billions.

Any way you look at it, there is intelligent life out there.

Muddy
30-09-2009, 05:37 PM
^Totally agree.

Atom
30-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Well I suppose it would make sense that Yeti is older than Seti.

Atom
30-09-2009, 05:44 PM
(...)Do you believe we will find extraterrestrial intelligence?We as in you and I? No.
We as in humankind? Yes.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, my dad is older than seti for sure.
But I hid the yeti fact from my kids....

They will find out themselves one day just why they have so much hair.

ewomack
30-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I think the intelligent beings don't know how to respond to a dull radio wave.

iowadawg
30-09-2009, 10:26 PM
The intelligent ones are laughing at Mork and Mindy.

The dumb ones are laughing at Alf.

Strong
01-10-2009, 06:19 AM
There is intelligent life out there.
They visited us once and found us too dumb to ever come back.
Though they tried to help us by giving us the wheel, the pyramid, and a few other items to get us on the road to smarts.

Years back, SETI had a program where you downloaded it to your computer and when your computer was not being used, the program would analyze whatever it was SETI gave it.
Wonder if they still do that?

Yep! Read the article I quoted in the opening post(OP) dude. They have all those computers linked together and together they form the fourth most powerful computer on the planet. And they need that processing power to process the amount of data they gather.

I think the intelligent beings don't know how to respond to a dull radio wave.

I was thinking along similar lines just this morning. The premise is that aliens will be broadcasting information throughout space much as we broadcast TV pictures around the world. But take a look at the development of the internet. Already we are distributing TV and radio programs via cables. It is conceivable that broadcasting will be obsolete within a short period of time.

If the same technological advances were made by other intelligent races, there would be a very short period when a broadcast signal could be detected. For us it has been only a little over 80 years so far.

My feeling is that because of this, if SETI do find signs of Alien Intelligence, it will be purely by chance. If life will be discovered on other planets it is most likely to be done by the planet hunters with the new generation of telescopes that can resolve Earth sized planets around other stars.

julien_simon
01-10-2009, 07:41 AM

Article: Telegraph - 10 key moments in the search for extraterrestrial life (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6240998/SETI-at-50-10-key-moments-in-the-search-for-extraterrestrial-life.html)

I bet ya I could find a couple just looking at the members on this forum.

Strong
01-10-2009, 08:39 AM
That is a point! Who is to say they haven't tapped into our internet through some inter-dimensional modem. Think of it! You could be hearing the thoughts of an extra-terrestrial at BTWIMHO everyday. I reckon it must be the Dawg! He is way too interested in human mating habits!!!

Strong
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I just had to add this quote here:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Cryren8972
02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I just had to add this quote here:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So what's his point? :sqwink:

Strong
02-10-2009, 11:19 AM
If you walked until the end of your days, and drew a line from now until then, the length of that line would barely make a scratch on the bigness of space.

Get in a car and drive until the end of your days. Still not a scratch.

Get in a plane ... Still not a scratch.

Get in a rocket ... Scratchless.

Get in an imaginary craft that could travel at the speed of light. Not even the S in Scratch.

'Space is mind-bogglingly' big! And then some.

:sqwink:

Cryren8972
02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
So is he claiming space is big? :sqlaugh:

Strong
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
He was a very funny man! :sqbiggrin:

ewomack
10-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, he died too damn soon... a number of years back now, if I remember...