PDA

View Full Version : The arrogance of clergy

Ferre
03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Some wise words from Pat Condell, apart from other things he states that spirituality and religion is something personal and as soon as it enters public domain and starts to influence society it is not about personal spirituality any more and becomes a political ideology with political doctrines.

Political doctrines however that are outdated, anti democratic and totalitarian.

STlYN5KCiWg

I can't agree more.

Zap
03-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Personally, I separate religion and spirituality.
I would say I am a spiritual person, but not at all religious.

I don't believe in God, but for many of the religious, I think organized religion and it's trappings are going to kill God.

Muddy
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
He seems to actually believe in Jesus! :sqeek:

Ferre
03-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Personally, I separate religion and spirituality too. "Religion" is where organisations use the pretext "spirituality" to penetrate political ideologies into the public domain.

The problem with most organized religion is that it has no intention to enlighten their flock because an enlightened flock doesn't need organized religion.

Here's John Trudell's take on religion and spirituality, more wise words...

Xbjzujo1Qx8

Cryren8972
03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I have issues with Religion as well...
there is a fundamental difference, as you say, between being religious and being spiritual. Religions tend to give people a holier than thou, condescending, "everyone else is going to hell" kind of attitude.
Being spiritual, therefore at peace, is a completely different vibe.

Muddy
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Personally, I separate religion and spirituality too. "Religion" is where organisations use the pretext "spirituality" to penetrate political ideologies into the public domain.

The problem with most organized religion is that it has no intention to enlighten their flock because an enlightened flock doesn't need organized religion.

Here's John Trudell's take on religion and spirituality, more wise words...

Xbjzujo1Qx8

I think he meant to say "spiritual" at 1:09.

Cryren8972
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
He seems to actually believe in Jesus! :sqeek:

Jesus actually spoke against religion, but not against God. =)

Atom
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I think he meant to say "spiritual" at 1:09.Good catch.

Interesting fellow.

Atom
03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
He seems to actually believe in Jesus! :sqeek:Nothing wrong with that, Jesus was more than likely a real person that actually existed.

Cryren8972
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Nothing wrong with that, Jesus was more than likely a real person that actually existed.

I would hope so, our whole year/calendar system depends on it. :sqbiggrin:

Atom
03-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I think that the wrongness occurs when one attempts to make their belief public. I think that if one actually possesses any kind of faith, it should only be expressed inadvertently through their daily living, and especially not through words.

Muddy
03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Nothing wrong with that, Jesus was more than likely a real person that actually existed.

Yes, I worded that wrong. I should have said "He seems to actually believe in the teachings of Jesus!".

Atom
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Faithful human beings without words to indicate such are rare indeed, but I'm sure they exist. Their faith is expressed inadvertently through them by them simply living their lives. I often wonder whether we are all born with faith, and maturity is simply a degree to which we deny it.

Atom
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe faith is an inborn condition, a condition of simply being.

Atom
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
It has been discovered by the scientific community that genes are not all that's inherited.

Atom
03-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Now notice that I did not say faith in god.

Our thoughts may simply be reactions to stimuli and make us all that we really are, but I somehow doubt it. May this be this mysterious faith of which I speak? Possibly.

Atom
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
May this mysterious faith be a byproduct of my conditioning by extraordinary stimuli? Possibly.

May my brain have adapted the posture of faith through shock by ordinary stimuli? Possibly.

Atom
03-10-2009, 04:08 PM
May god actually exist? Possibly not.

Atom
03-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Alright then, that's all I wanted to hear you say.

lol

iowadawg
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
How about the clergy who exhort their followers to strap on suicide belts?

What if christian clergy went on a jihad and started to say to their followers "you will go to heaven and be with God and have more damn virgins than you can take care of" if only you strap this on and go and blow up a mosque or some muslim home/business?

Why is it, a certain religion can burn bibles yet ready to call a planet wide jihad against any person or country that does the same to their book?

Muddy
03-10-2009, 09:32 PM

What if christian clergy went on a jihad and started to say to their followers "you will go to heaven and be with God and have more damn virgins than you can take care of" if only you strap this on and go and blow up a mosque or some muslim home/business?

Why is it, a certain religion can burn bibles yet ready to call a planet wide jihad against any person or country that does the same to their book?

All good points, and so-called Christianity has been guilty of essentially the very same things.

Ferre
04-10-2009, 04:48 AM
The Christian Jihad was called inquisition, lasted for 400 years and wiped out entire cultures. It practically wiped out the Celtic, Germanic and Franks cultures in Europe and all the knowledge those peoples had gathered during the centuries before the inquisition burned their books and everyone who didn't submit to Christianity.

That's the problem with those Abrahamic scriptures that brought forth all those desert death cults, they all have a build-in extermination-system for non-compliance.

They replaced many ancient cultures that had their roots in the local areas where they developed their cultures with an ideology that has its roots in the Middle East. This Middle Eastern ideology has been forced upon half the world by force, indoctrination and brainwashing of the young.

Needles to say that to those who know history those Middle Eastern death cults like christianity and Islam are just two sides of the same coin and both just as violent.

Halo
04-10-2009, 04:50 AM
I would say I am a spiritual person, but not at all religious.

Being born into a Catholic family I was brought up to be religious.
Then I thought of myself as a spiritual person not religious.
Then I thought of myself as just a person.
Now I'm not even too sure about that one.

Strong
04-10-2009, 05:32 AM

Ever heard of the Crusades, pretty much the same thing, but with swords and axes and siege engines.

Atom
04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Clergy has always been a strange word to me.

The God idea is very popular around the world I've noticed.

Muddy
04-10-2009, 03:58 PM
The God idea is very popular around the world I've noticed.

It started out as a good idea but the fanatics tortured one o to death because it wouldn't capitulate.

ewomack
10-10-2009, 09:28 AM
I can believe in Jesus, but I can't believe in St. Paul.

Muddy
31-10-2009, 12:20 AM
http://boxofbooty.com/image/128

Atom
31-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Dear god I don't see anything, I may be going blind.