PDA

View Full Version : Silver Halo

Zap
16-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks Halo,

You're partially responsible. :)

With the state of the economy and the rumors that gold and silver are going to increase in value shortly, I took the plunge yesterday and picked up some physical silver bullion coins. I prefer the idea of physically having it in hand, rather than holding silver stock on paper. If the computer networks get shut down, I've still got something I can put my hands on.
I've been thinking about this for a while, reading a lot, thinking some more. And Halo, I kept seeing your sig link and it pushed me over the edge. :) Maybe it's paranoia. Maybe not. I guess that time will tell.

Anyone else here, holding any gold or silver?
A lot of people are saying it's a great way to preserve some wealth if/when the value of paper money takes a dive.

These are not two sides of the same coin. Both of these coins have QE II on the reverse.

ewomack
16-08-2011, 12:11 PM
My favorite bullion are the Canadian Maple Leafs... I picked one up last time I was in Toronto. When prices were MUCH lower than they are now, I bought quite a few of them from APMEX (http://www.apmex.com/). You could get a nice silver leafy back then for $10 - $12US. Gold was also down so I bought what I could of that, but I haven't bought for a few years because of the massive price increase (will it ever drop again?). All of my goodies are locked away in a vault where they belong. For the time being it looks like it turned out a good investment. But what jumps must also plop... eventually...

Zap
16-08-2011, 05:13 PM
The Canadian Maple Leafs are well sought after for their purity. (9999) The purest I've seen. They're $45 each now!

But some estimates put the roof for silver around $200 / oz.
Quite a few analysts I've been reading and watching are looking for upward mobility in silver before the end of this year.
It's said that it's undervalued right now due to manipulation by JPM.
I would love to get some gold too, but DAMN! *$1850 for a single coin!!!

ewomack
16-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Though they're not as good an investment as 1 ounce gold coins, you can get 1/10th and 1/20th ounce gold coins for $100 - $150US... the 1/20ths in particular are tiny. Or, if that's too small, go 1/4 or 1/2 ounce. I worked my way up through the smaller denominations, though technically they cost a little more per ounce if you do the math.

Zap
16-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I saw a tiny version of our quarter, struck in gold. Didn't get the price, but I'll bet it cost more than 25 cents!

Halo
16-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks Halo,

You're partially responsible. :)

I am so glad. That's the soft sell approach. Just about everyone close to me is fed up of me explaining what I've learned about the economy so far. My gf's words were "it's like living with a silver salesman". She did buy some though. :second: From having no interest in the economy, to fixating on it for the last few months, I've learned that we are up the creek without a paddle, and it's going to be very interesting over the next few years. Politicians aren't telling people what they should, and it's probably best because there would probably be instantaneous mass panic.

All of my goodies are locked away in a vault where they belong. For the time being it looks like it turned out a good investment.
Where is the vault, bank owned or a personal safe? Could make a big difference if confiscation every came about again, but I don't see that happening. Most people who got burned way back were the ones who trusted the government and were compensated for their shiny metals (right before the price went way up). AFAIK no average Joe was ever taken to court for not turning in precious metals.

...But what jumps must also plop... eventually...
True. Fiat currencies plop too. I've heard a few times that many fiat currencies don't last longer that 40 years on average. This fiat currency experiment we are running at the moment is 40 years and 2 days old at the time of writing. Nixon close the gold window on August 15th 1971 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_Shock#The_Shock).

The Canadian Maple Leafs are well sought after for their purity. (9999) The purest I've seen. They're $45 each now!

I never really considered the numismatic value of coins thinking it would only be for rare old coins but BrotherJohnF's recent vid on Australian koalas from the Perth Mint was very interesting.
mKYZJ4zte8M

But some estimates put the roof for silver around $200 / oz.
Quite a few analysts I've been reading and watching are looking for upward mobility in silver before the end of this year.
It's said that it's undervalued right now due to manipulation by JPM.
I would love to get some gold too, but DAMN! *$1850 for a single coin!!!
BJF (http://www.youtube.com/user/BrotherJohnF#p/u) thinks silver could go to triple digits pretty quickly, while others think he's a bit deluded and twists data to suit his own opinions. I like his charts a lot. Silver, gold and anything I suppose are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. In Zimbabwe gold went up to billions then trillions, but so did bread and eggs. The more you look into the idea of money the crazier it seems, but at it's very essence instead of bartering we use currencies (, , $, etc).

A currency must be:

A medium of exchange
A unit of account
Portable
Divisable
Durable
Fungible

Money must be the above as well as a:

Store of value over time

Simple example:
What would you rather have, a $100 note or a 1oz silver coin?
What would you rather have, half a $100 note or half an oz of silver?

Though they're not as good an investment as 1 ounce gold coins, you can get 1/10th and 1/20th ounce gold coins for $100 - $150US... the 1/20ths in particular are tiny. Or, if that's too small, go 1/4 or 1/2 ounce. I worked my way up through the smaller denominations, though technically they cost a little more per ounce if you do the math.
BullionVault lets you buy in amounts as small as 1gram, without the hefty premiums on the smaller coins, although the minimum storage fees of BV make storing only 1g not a sensible thing to do . Each method of buying metals has it's pros and cons. BV will give you 1g of gold for signing up, which you could near it's all time high, buy 40-45g of silver and if silver was to take a quick jump (the silver to gold ratio (http://www.goldseek.com/quotes/charts/goldsilverratio/goldsilverratio24hour.php)is currently 44.7 and got as low as about 32 recently) you could then swap back for gold etc, but it's not really about making a profit as such imho. You can make a profit I suppose, but the more I look into it the more it seems to be a way of just preserving your buying power especially if those in charge print more money (Quantitative easing).

Preserve your raisin buying power!
In my local supermarket the cheapest raisins are 2.98/kg. About 5 years ago they were 1.16/kg.
Would you say that raisins are a good investment? Are raising worth 2.5x more than 5 years ago, or do they simply cost more? Should you buy lots of them and sell (or swap) them in the future? Probably not the smartest idea, but in theory if you had enough gold to buy a bag of raisins 5 years ago, you should still have enough gold to buy a bag of raisins today.

In a silverfuturist video, one commenter clayvessel writes:

THE CHICKEN-TO-SILVER RATIO SAYS:

1 indonesian silver dirham = 0.1 troy oz of silver = 1 adult female chicken.....

Only problem is.... one adult chicken usually sells for OVER $12,,, therefore, silver is UNDERVALUED. The Chicken Index proves that silver should be over $100 an oz!

If we get away from measuring things in dollars, yen, yuan, pounds, euros, and francs, especially when governments can just print more of those paper rectangles, we might understand what something are worth rather than what they cost.

A crash is coming and I'm utterly amazed that almost nobody is mention on facebook these things that are going to have a huge effect on day to day living. Have the big players already protected themselves and invested in hard assets?
Sotheby's has timed the three previous armageddon with uncanny precision (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/ultimate-indicator-easy-money-access-rolling-over-and-absent-more-qe-it-market).

Why you should be just a tad concerned:
q6vi528gseA

Apologies for the long post, you can see why I have bored the absolute shit out of my nearest and dearest, but it's given me something to focus on and it is pretty fascinating.

Halo
18-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Mike Maloney's new vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2s6vzErqY

Joe the SilverFuturist and Jackie O's take on Mike Maloney's vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDKuZf4wgo

Zap
15-09-2011, 09:03 AM
I find the silverfuturist a bit too high strung for my tastes.
When I see one of his vids, I want to smack him until he calms down OR my hand hurts too much.

Halo
23-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I find the silverfuturist a bit too high strung for my tastes.
The Silverfuturist doesn't even drink coffee! Just imagine him on redbull or other energy drinks. :D

When I see one of his vids, I want to smack him until he calms down OR my hand hurts too much.
Aw, he's so nice. How can you smack a guy who keeps chickens? Joe imho is a good guy; his one character flaw might be that he is too nice.
He does have a shedful of scythe-y type of tools so maybe the nice guy persona is just an incredible disguise. :p

Here he is today describing today and yesterday's craziness.
fxHogvqQqlk

Halo
23-09-2011, 10:25 PM
What happened?
Operation Twist
TLTWhmR7l5g
Last tried in '61. Didn't have a dramatic impact. Will it have a succesful effect on the economy? Maybe if rates weren't where they are now.

What did Bernanke just do????
4N-GUdQ4gO8

Why has Bernanke Invited Crisis.
dP5wPvYHpaE

Paper profits.
I6wHgZATEeY

BrotherJohnF says "Load the boat"
cC81CeI-Y-U

....and the CME just raised margin rates so there might be a little more downtime to come.

"CME just hiked gold margins by 21%, silver by 16% and copper by 18%"
from one YT commenter.

ewomack
24-09-2011, 08:38 AM
I haven't heard why yet, but metals plummeted yesterday... Gold fell almost $100... at this moment silver sits at $30. That's quite a hit for such a short time. And with all of the economic end of the world talk going on now it seems rather incongruous...

Halo
24-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I haven't heard why yet, but metals plummeted yesterday... Gold fell almost $100... at this moment silver sits at $30. That's quite a hit for such a short time. And with all of the economic end of the world talk going on now it seems rather incongruous...
Margin hike, or rather the leak of a margin hike (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gold-liquidations-open-thread) according to ZH.

In other news UBS have booted out their CEO.
UPDATE 7-UBS CEO quits over trading loss; board speeds up overhaul | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/24/ubs-idUSL5E7KO0J420110924)

2dbsFmEf37g

Strong
24-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm away for a few days and the world is going to pot already :sqeek:

I've got some catching up to do it would seem. The only gold I've got is a wedding ring.

Zap
26-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Although it doesn't make sense, people have been selling everything else to buy into the "safety" of the US dollar.
That includes gold and silver but it didn't stop there. People also sold euros, stocks and treasury bills to buy "safe" US dollars.
Boy... are they in for a shock when they realize there is no safety in FIAT currency.

I used the opportunity to buy some more 1 oz. silver maple leafs at $36 per piece.
And the price continued to slip on the Asian markets to around $28 as I write this!

Strong
27-09-2011, 12:08 PM
The high price of gold: death and destruction in Amazon mineral rush (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/26/amazon-gold-rush-prices-soar)

Officials say high commodity price has encouraged illegal mining and increased violence in South America's rainforest region

It is worth noting that greed follows money and crooked, violent people are greedy. With that in mind, is it wise to draw attention to what coinage you guys may or may not have lurking at home given the internet age? Just a random thought from the paranoid android in the south of London. :3confused:

Zap
28-09-2011, 07:13 AM
The high price of gold: death and destruction in Amazon mineral rush (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/26/amazon-gold-rush-prices-soar)

It is worth noting that greed follows money and crooked, violent people are greedy. With that in mind, is it wise to draw attention to what coinage you guys may or may not have lurking at home given the internet age? Just a random thought from the paranoid android in the south of London. :3confused:

Anyone coming to my home, looking for silver, will be sorely disappointed. :sqwink:

ewomack
01-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Same here. I have no metals anywhere within site at home.

And yes gold mining in particular would never count as an "environmental practice." Read about the hideous practice of cyanide leaching in Montana, for instance, in Jared Diamond's book "Collapse." And Journeyman pictures filmed a documentary about how European gold mining companies have more or less devastated parts of South Africa. No naturally occurring substance has more blood on his hands than gold, particularly considering the historical dimension of the metal. It's actually a pretty nasty thing, all things considered. This applies to silver to a lesser extent, but it still applies.

Halo
07-10-2011, 04:21 AM
I'd politely treat any visitors as I'd treat myself, but then again a bifurcated tongue and needles in the nailbed aren't most folk's idea of a good time. :sqwink:

Same here. I have no metals anywhere within site at home.

Do hedgehogs have pockets?

And yes gold mining in particular would never count as an "environmental practice." Read about the hideous practice of cyanide leaching in Montana, for instance, in Jared Diamond's book "Collapse." And Journeyman pictures filmed a documentary about how European gold mining companies have more or less devastated parts of South Africa. No naturally occurring substance has more blood on his hands than gold, particularly considering the historical dimension of the metal. It's actually a pretty nasty thing, all things considered. This applies to silver to a lesser extent, but it still applies.
The time will probably come when mining new stuff isn't economically viable, then we might have to make do with what we have. Imagine that.

Paxman Newsnight Oct 5th:
6UGDTtqklSo
BFvNs7Y45Io

Paxman from 2008, with the word 'panic':
nuysYXlJ43I

ewomack
07-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Since the markets are now where the majority of the modern power structure resides, I often wonder how contrived and manipulated all of this money/market talk ends up being... maybe even the crashes are contrived? People make money off of those too and power changes hands. I suppose it's better than siege warfare punctuated by mass disembowelings...

Zap
09-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Since the markets are now where the majority of the modern power structure resides, I often wonder how contrived and manipulated all of this money/market talk ends up being... maybe even the crashes are contrived? People make money off of those too and power changes hands. I suppose it's better than siege warfare punctuated by mass disembowelings...

You can bet they're manipulated. JP Morgan is known to manipulate the silver market as they have massively sold short.
One of the functions of the latest dip served to shake loose some of the investors. The fewer people who hold silver and gold, the better for those with the power.

Halo
26-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Li0no7O9zmE

Halo
28-12-2011, 07:52 PM
c0wFeXNj62Q

tbfOKK1M6-Y

Halo
02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
NWzmWEit1e0

Blzvepy4i3o

Don't get me wrong, I love pictures of cute pussies on Facebook as much as the next guy, but isn't it a wonder that most people don't seem to have heard of the NDAA, but we have the greatest communication tool ever? The number of (unedited) pish Xmas and New Year photos you have to wade through seems to increase, but items of interest seem to get a wee bit lost.

I guess my finger ain't on the pulse.

Yahoo:

TRENDING NOW

1. Kim Kardashian
2. Beyonce
3. Celeb Big Brother
4. Robbie Williams
5. BlackBerry phones
6. Best savings
7. Internet security
8. Lady Gaga
9. Weather forecast
10. Share prices

Google trends:

Hot Searches (USA)
1. santonio holmes
2. demarcus cousins
3. rose bowl
4. nfl playoff schedule
5. savannah brinson
6. 2012 nfl draft order
7. ticket city bowl
8. mt rainier
9. nbc sports network
10. mount rainier

Zap
03-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Many of these people searching for Kim Kardashian and Beyonce right now, will be searching for silver by this time next year.
And the really sad part is that silver will be well into its bubble formation by that time and it's a steal at under $30 right now.

My wife and I were considering a trip to Disney in Florida some time in the coming months, but with the passage of the NDAA and the Indefinite Detention section, clearly, my wife and I need to have a serious discussion.

What's the difference between the government using the NDAA indefinite detention clause and kidnappers?
Kidnappers usually let you speak to your family and they make ransom demands.

Halo
26-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Streetmoney21 with the skinny on the trickeration.
A5Xp6zz0NTs

Be first, be smarter or cheat.
GTfUENx6uRs

Adaptability to change:
DRcjp7_Iaks

Ferre
26-01-2012, 09:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WBiTnBwSWc

Halo
30-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Jim Sinclair:
9802NwSSS6U

Credit event this week?
"The impending non declared bankruptcy of 5 US banks, perhaps this week, who are essentially going to float the eurozone and the euro."
International Swaps and Derivatives Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Swaps_and_Derivatives_Association)
ISDA.org
"The ISDA governs whether or not a credit event will be called a default."
"97% of the guarantee of the sovereign debt is held by 5 of the largest US banks."
Greek debt.
Haircut of 30% not a default?

"This is how MF went broke. MF went broke on the 50% haircut.
They had bought credit default swaps but the International Swaps & Derivatives Association said that the 50% haircut is not a default.
Who's going to be taken out when the 30% is declared not a default?"

"Rather than learn their lesson the banks have gone wild issuing credit default swaps."

"The ISDA is more powerful than any government in terms of the financial decision they're gonna be called upon to make probably this week."

Halo
28-02-2012, 08:24 PM
QCO6smQrjJ8

Halo
29-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Uh oh, spoke too soon.

Streetmoney on Sugarpants Bernanke:
TUmUE56ytss

Ron Paul's encounter with Bernanke today:
n7gAgjTvtjc

Zap
01-03-2012, 07:00 AM
I have a bit more $$$ to buy silver so I was kinda hoping for a small correction in the price. :)

Halo
01-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Is gold in a bubble?

http://i.imgur.com/kiqlN.jpg

Courtesy of ZH.
Infographic: Is Gold A Bubble? | ZeroHedge (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/infographic-gold-bubble)

Zap
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Just arrived today.
Beautiful coin.

Halo
16-03-2012, 11:07 AM
India loves gold.
8GhhfciPY7I

It's true. I checked with a mutual Indian friend.
:)

Strong
16-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah it's true, but then it has always been true, Indians all over the world have collected gold jewellery, and platinum and even silver. It's as much a traditional cultural thing. Obviously for the intrinsic value of the jewellery, but also as an investment for when times get hard. Take dowrys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowry_law_in_India) for instance, the payment still goes on, just in more subtle ways, by the giving of jewellery, often at the request of the girl and her family.

My dad, who it must be said was a jeweller by trade, kept loads of stuff he made, and indeed he used to give my mother a solid gold bangle every year during the good times. Of course when times were not so good, she would give him it back. Saving money in banks were pretty much anathema to him for most of his life. And indeed now that he is dead, she still has a decent collection that acts like a pension in it's own right.

And by your own account, the price of gold has only ever increased over the decades, certainly in the long run even with the short term blips.

BTW 24 carrot gold, solid gold, is generally too soft to make hard wearing jewellery like rings and bangles, so it is cut down and mixed to produce a harder alloy. But if you are never, or rarely, going to wear the jewellery then it can be 24, and more easily reshaped and sold if need be.

Halo
26-03-2012, 03:15 AM
BBC article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17458645)

...It used to be stones, or shells. It has sometimes been cigarettes, wives and, arguably, sex. Most-famously it has been gold and silver.
... known as "fiat currency", from the Latin "it shall be".
...promise to "pay the bearer on demand" that is still printed on each bank note today.
...recently our confidence in money has been shaken, even if we do not really understand what it is or how it works.
..."Money is a collective act of the imagination...
...Only the Bank of England can create money in the UK; and it can invent it out of thin air.

..."It's almost easier if you just say that there are elves who make money and, when the money elves get to work, they sort of magically come up with it and then there's more of it," he says.