PDA

View Full Version : Republicans finally found tax cut they don’t like

fastreplies
20-12-2011, 02:08 PM
You have to love Democrats for fucking up brains of Republicans.
In spite of stuffing Bill with tons of poisoned pills hoping Dems reject it,
Dems said: fine and voted for it definitely knowing what is going to happen.

I’m not betting man but I can bet this time Republicans will raise taxes
on 160 millions American families.

Payroll Tax Cut Bill: House Rejects Senate Extension (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/20/payroll-tax-cut-house-rejects-extension_n_1160784.html?ref=mostpopular)

fastreplies

fastreplies
21-12-2011, 08:36 PM
WSJ DECEMBER 22, 2011

The GOP's Payroll Tax Fiasco

GOP Senate leader Mitch McConnell famously said a year ago that his main task in the 112th Congress was to make sure that President Obama would not be re-elected. Given how he and House Speaker John Boehner have handled the payroll tax debate, we wonder if they might end up re-electing the President before the 2012 campaign even begins in earnest.
Review Outlook: The GOP's Payroll Tax Fiasco - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204791104577110573867064702.html)

That's not fair... I said that 2 days ago.
Wall Street Journal stole my prediction.

fastreplies

fastreplies
22-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Who could ever imagine 3 years ago that Obama would be the leading force behind
stimulus package tax break, 2 years extension on Bush’s tax and now Payroll Tax?

Ladies and Gentlemen,
we have a new Triple Crown tax cut Champion - Barack Obama.

fastreplies

fastreplies
09-01-2012, 03:26 PM
WOW, no comments, no argument even from Atom... WOW

Maybe FOX News run out of talking points on that subject.
I better check what is going on, because God forbid Republicans will hold that against
Barry Obama in the next election by declaring him Republican tax cutting President.

fastreplies

pctec
10-01-2012, 07:16 AM
I see you capitalized god... do you believe?

fastreplies
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Do I have to believe or I can just to follow grammatical personal names rule?

I also capitalized Republicans... do I believe? Well, take a guess. :ohwell:

fastreplies

Muddy
10-01-2012, 01:07 PM

God is not a name, it's a title.

Halo
10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
God is not a name, it's a title.
Like a job description? I'd have said it was a name, but now you come to mention it there are other gods.

I'd capitalize the names of Zeus or Thor.

What if there is a God and s/he is a god, how spooky would that be? It would be like a Smith being a smith. You could even (feasibly) have a Smith who was a smith and one of The Smiths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths).
j5b_V68mQ9k

The next time you think God forbid or even god forbid, say Thor forbid. Say it out loud right now, it sounds much better.

JOddp-nlNvQ

By that logic fastreplies doesn't even believe in himself. :3skeptical:

See below:

I also capitalized Republicans... do I believe? Well, take a guess. :ohwell:

fastreplies

Perfect time to ask. It's often popped into my head, fastreplies, why do you always sign your name at the end of each of your posts? Your username is to the left each time anyway and you would save some time. Cumulatively, if you do that often, you could save enough time to make a cup of tea or coffee every 2 years. I'm all about efficiency. :p

Muddy
10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, god is like duke or earl or king or president, etc. Like you say, Thor, Zeus, Vishnu, Shiva, Jehovah, Allah etc. are names.

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, Muddy, it actually depends on how you use it. If you say, "God is looking down on you", then you capitalize. If you say..."a god was called, and his name was Zeus", then it's a description, not a name, so lower case is used.

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 03:19 PM
For instance...using your example, you could say, I saw a duke the other day. But if you were to say, I saw Duke Wellington today, then you use capital letters. It's a pronoun at that point, not an adjective. =)

Muddy
10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, Muddy, it actually depends on how you use it. If you say, "God is looking down on you", then you capitalize. If you say..."a god was called, and his name was Zeus", then it's a description, not a name, so lower case is used.

In the former I would ask you which god was looking down on me. I'm pretty sure that no matter how you slice it, god is a title.

For instance...using your example, you could say, I saw a duke the other day. But if you were to say, I saw Duke Wellington today, then you use capital letters. It's a pronoun at that point, not an adjective. =)

That's because Duke is also a proper noun as well as a title. So is Earl and for dogs so is King I guess. Really anything could be a proper noun if that's the name they were given at birth. However, if not actually a name (like Duke Wellington), then it's a title.

Muddy
10-01-2012, 03:27 PM
To refer to any god as though "God" were its name is tantamount to referring to me (or any other man) as "Man" in place of my name.

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, technically, if I were to say, come here Man, then it's appropriate to use capitalization there, depending on how I'm using it. If I'm substituting your name, then it's acceptable to use a capital. I fear you're going past grammatical correctness, and taking it personal. When people capitalize God, they are referring to the Christian God, and not all gods. Doesn't mean you're a believer, it means you're following a widely accepted proper noun usage. Just like Zeus.

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Here are some references:
HOW TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE (http://www.lousywriter.com/language_capital_letters.php)

When to use Capital Letters (http://specialed.about.com/od/grammar/p/CapitalRules.htm)

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Capital letters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Capital_letters)

By the way, love ya! :sqwink:

Muddy
10-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, technically, if I were to say, come here Man, then it's appropriate to use capitalization there, depending on how I'm using it.

Yes, if my given name was Man.

If I'm substituting your name, then it's acceptable to use a capital.

How is this possible? On my next vacation I think I'll go to City. I'll probably fly with Airlines and I like staying in Hotel. I want Wife to go but if she won't maybe Woman will.

I fear you're going past grammatical correctness, and taking it personal.

Nope my dear, I have no ax to grind either way. :)

When people capitalize God, they are referring to the Christian God, and not all gods.

Isn't this a bit presumptuous? What people? All people? Worldwide?

Doesn't mean you're a believer, it means you're following a widely accepted proper noun usage. Just like Zeus.

Agreed. It doesn't mean you're a believer. It means you're following the incorrect usage of a title. No matter how many people say "irregardless" it still isn't a word. lol!

Muddy
10-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Here are some references:
HOW TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE (http://www.lousywriter.com/language_capital_letters.php)

When to use Capital Letters (http://specialed.about.com/od/grammar/p/CapitalRules.htm)

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Capital letters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Capital_letters)

By the way, love ya! :sqwink:

Yes, exactly. Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Capital letters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Capital_letters#Titles_of_people)

Love you too! :sqwink:

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
If I give you the nickname Man, this it's correct. It's not a title when referring to God. He just happens to be the only one with that name. As I stated before, it's much the same way as Zeus. Maybe this will clarify? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/god

A quote from Wiki, the link that you re-quoted. =) "Proper nouns and titles referencing deities are capitalized: God, Allah, Freyja, the Lord, the Supreme Being, the Messiah. The same is true when referring to important religious figures, such as Muhammad, by terms such as the Prophet. Common nouns should not be capitalized: the Norse gods, personal god. In a biblical context, God is capitalized only when it refers to the Judeo-Christian deity, and prophet is generally not capitalized."

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
When fastreplies used the term God forbid...he wasn't implying, all deities without the name God forbid. He was referring to the one known as God, the one given the name God, and the one you understand to be named God, or you wouldn't have asked him if he believed in the first place. :sqwink:

Muddy
10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I didn't.

pctec
10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
It looks like fastreplies is getting a debate albeit not the one he wanted...

Muddy
10-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't make the same point Tim was...although I think his comment was tongue in cheek.

My point was a separate issue.

Muddy
10-01-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm just doing this to prove I'm not scared of pretty girls.

pctec
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Cry, I always wanted to be loved :sqrofl:

pctec
10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm just doing this to prove I'm not scared of pretty girls.

I melt in the presence of pretty girls :)

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I didn't.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. Sorry about that. My point is that by English standards, it's correct to capitalize. Hugs and stuff. :sqwink:

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I melt in the presence of pretty girls :)

I'm not sure what I would do with a melted pctec. Take that as you wish...

Muddy
10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I realized that after I posted. Sorry about that. My point is that by English standards, it's correct to capitalize. Hugs and stuff. :sqwink:

Okay Cutie.

Halo
10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey Zeus and Jesus sound the same, but most people would never never say Hey to Jesus. Then it would sound like Hay-Hay_Zeus.
yNPglQ8KIQY

Duke of Wellington or Duke Ellington?

Yes, if my given name was Man.

Man Friday?

The Red logo of About.com always annoys me. Probably because the usually have crappy webpages on every subject imagineable just for the ad revenue.

That page seems to be missing images or something after Brands: or is it just me?

Brands:

Religious titles, brand names and companies also need capital letters.
Mr. Mrs., Ms., Miss:

Always use capitals when addressing people by Mr, Miss etc.
Is it suggesting Religions are brands? :3wink:

BTW Duke Ellington is a god, or should that be was a god, or even is God now that he's shuffled off this mortal coil?
bHRbEhLj540

This one is a bit like having a religious experience:
sCQfTNOC5aE

fastreplies
10-01-2012, 05:22 PM

LOL, actually I’m glad I had roused your debating juices.
I’m sure soon enough you’ll learn how to stay on the subject so we all can participate in debate.

fastreplies

Muddy
10-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah, so there Tim! lol!

pctec
10-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I’m sure soon enough you’ll learn how to stay on the subject so we all can participate in debate.

That right there is one very tall order... not sure I ca

Oh did I mention anywhere that I am a tit man?
MMMMmmmmmmmm, juices!!!!

Halo
10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
When people capitalize God, they are referring to the Christian God, and not all gods.

Do you think people capitalized the G-man (or G-person) before there were Christians? Also was He/Him/Her/It a Christian god if there were no Christians?

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Are you guys trying to keep me hanging around by debating with me? :sqlaugh: Duke of Wellington, Duke Ellington, either or, the point is still the same. As for the "G-man" or "G-person"...I noticed you capitalized it. I'm not sure what year the capitalization started...I assume after everyone agreed to call him God. In a religious context, it would also be correct for me to have capitalized Him in that last sentence. I guess you could go protest the schools and have that particular bit changed if you would like, but as of today, it's proper English when referring to God, to capitalize.

Atom
10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
God is simply an idea, nothing more. The only time it should be capitalized is when it begins a sentence.

Atom
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Zeus is more than simply an idea, it's an idea that is in the personage form and therefore deserves capitalization. God is an idea only, and does not deserve capitalization IMO.

Atom
10-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Sometimes I think that god is the biggest idea there ever was without substance.

fastreplies
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
God is an idea only, and does not deserve capitalization IMO.

Try to tell to religious people that Him is only an idea but before you do that,
make sure you have nearby cave to run for cover or at least good helmet and armor
to protect your priceless head from avalanche of falling apple sized rocks.

fastreplies

ewomack
10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Spinoza thought God was merely substance, and he capitalized it, too, though it was 1670 something...

Atom
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Spinoza thought God was merely substance, and he capitalized it, too, though it was 1670 something...Yes, many people make that mistake, even today. It's a mistake IMO.

BadMutha
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, you guys are looking at 'god' the word and saying it shouldn't be capitalized. Which is correct its not a name in this form. The word 'god' as a title originates from the name 'God', the name Christians gave their god. So when used as a name referring to a specific god, God should be capitalized.

GOD - The English word God is identical with the Anglo-Saxon word for “good,” and therefore it is believed that the name God refers to the divine goodness. (See Oehler's Theol. of Old Test.; Strong's and Young's concordances.) (From New Unger's Bible Dictionary) (Originally published by Moody Press of Chicago, Illinois. Copyright (C) 1988.)
I know the source is Christian, but it still categorizes God as a name.

You also used the example 'Allah'. But 'Allah' translates to God or god, and would not be capitalized unless it was used as a name, which it may be.

ewomack
10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
What if I want some other god apart from the Christian one to damn something? Do I use "god dammit!" in place of "God dammit!" I can see using this if I wanted a pagan god to damn something but I couldn't remember the god's name. I can see that happening to me, too. Those pagans have loads of 'em.

Atom
10-01-2012, 09:19 PM
It doesn't matter what people believe, without scientific evidence to support god as anything more than an idea it cannot be a proper name, it is simply an idea.

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
It doesn't matter what people believe, without scientific evidence to support god as anything more than an idea it cannot be a proper name, it is simply an idea.

Using this theory, a woman that wants to get pregnant and name her child Atom, would instead write it as atom, since the baby, at this point, is only an idea.

Atom
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Well, you guys are looking at 'god' the word and saying it shouldn't be capitalized. Which is correct its not a name in this form. The word 'god' as a title originates from the name 'God', the name Christians gave their god. So when used as a name referring to a specific god, God should be capitalized.

I know the source is Christian, but it still categorizes God as a name.

You also used the example 'Allah'. But 'Allah' translates to God or god, and would not be capitalized unless it was used as a name, which it may be.Monotheism was born in ancient Egypt in an idea by a Pharaoh, and the god of the Jews was not named god, it was named Yahweh.

Atom
10-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Using this theory, a woman that wants to get pregnant and name her child Atom, would instead write it as atom, since the baby, at this point, is only an idea.That is not a theory, Cry, it's a fact.

ewomack
10-01-2012, 09:41 PM
"Allah" is a tough one because we capitalize it in transliterated English, but Arabic doesn't really have capitals. Plus, "Allah" literally means "The God." "Al" is the Arabic definite article, but I've never heard or seen the word "Lah" used in isolation, but it might be in some contexts. That would be an interesting, if potentially heretical, question for a native Arabic speaker. In any case, it gets confusing quickly... and we tend to overvalue capitals... except for e.e. cummings...

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I agree with Ed, this is all kind of pointless actually. I was only trying to prove that by literary standards, fastreplies was correct, and not testifying to any certain beliefs he may or may not have. :sqconfused:

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Atom, this debate isn't about whether or not you believe God exists...but whether the name God should be capitalized. By English standards, it's proper to do so. If you don't want to use capitalization, then you shouldn't call him God at all...but rather, the god, or a god. The fact that you're specifically saying, God does not exist, is implying a proper noun. You could even correctly say, "gods do not exist". If you disagree, just put your name in the sentences, and see how it flows. I don't believe Atom exists. I don't believe atom exists. I don't believe atoms exist. None of them are true statements, but only two are correct by English grammatical rules.

ewomack
10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Here's some God/god etymology:
Etymology of God/god (http://wahiduddin.net/words/name_god.htm)
Etymology online (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=god)

Hm, I can't find any great resources on that one, but the lineage of the word seems to be a slight mystery...

But here's a discussion from a Christian forum along the same lines: Etymology of "God" - embarrassing for Christians? (http://www.christianforums.com/t7474991/)

ewomack
10-01-2012, 09:59 PM
I agree with Ed, this is all kind of pointless actually.

That's great, can we get back to underknees then?

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
That's great, can we get back to underknees then?

I thought it was UNDERKNEES?! I'm so confused.

Atom
10-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Atom, this debate isn't about whether or not you believe God exists...but whether the name God should be capitalized. By English standards, it's proper to do so.I know that it's proper by English standards, however, I disagree with the standards concerning this word, god. It is not a name, IMO, it is simply an idea.

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Check these out, maybe it will kind of clarify some of the confusion. They are completely unbiased sites...
God or god? To capitalize or not to Capitalize (http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgodexist/a/capitalization.htm)

Grammar Girl : Do You Capitalize “God”? :: Quick and Dirty Tips (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/do-you-capitalize-god.aspx)

Muddy
10-01-2012, 10:11 PM
...and the god of the Jews was not named god, it was named Yahweh.

The Anglicized version of which can be found at Psalms 83:18.

fastreplies
10-01-2012, 10:12 PM

An idea is another word for belief = devotion = piety... an idea = God

fastreplies

Muddy
10-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Has anyone besides me noticed that Cryren is eerily similar to siren?

Cryren8972
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM

LOL! Now, I have to ask, did you mean siren, or Siren?

Atom
10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
The Anglicized version of which can be found at Psalms 83:18.I'm not sure if I spelled that right.

ewomack
10-01-2012, 10:31 PM
I thought it was UNDERKNEES?! I'm so confused.

This just in, it has become

ˇˇˇUNDERKNEES!!!

Muddy
10-01-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure if I spelled that right.

In the original Hebrew it's actually יהוה

Muddy
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Transliterated into English as YHWH.

ewomack
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM

I always thought it was "Cry Ren"

Atom
10-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I know that it's proper by English standards, however, I disagree with the standards concerning this word, god. It is not a name, IMO, it is simply an idea.If I give this idea a name, that does not make the idea a name. God is not a proper name to me.

Muddy
10-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I've never heard of god being a proper noun...but I guess that just shows my age. So many things that used to be poor grammar are now being assimilated into the language.

Atom
11-01-2012, 12:55 AM
The dictionary classifies the word god as a noun, however, the commonly accepted idea refers to neither a person, place or thing (object), it's simply an idea.

Atom
11-01-2012, 01:07 AM
God is an idea, nothing more, it should not be capitalized IMO.

Atom
11-01-2012, 01:20 AM
In fact it should not even have a classification in the dictionary IMO.

Atom
11-01-2012, 01:23 AM
God; noun. I disagree.

Atom
11-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Now we must address the question; is everywhere a place?

Atom
11-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Q: Is everywhere a place?

A: Yes.

Q: Where?

Atom
11-01-2012, 01:55 AM
I knew I shouldn't have taken that nap earlier.

Halo
11-01-2012, 02:57 AM
What if I want some other god apart from the Christian one to damn something? Do I use "god dammit!" in place of "God dammit!" I can see using this if I wanted a pagan god to damn something but I couldn't remember the god's name. I can see that happening to me, too. Those pagans have loads of 'em.
Thor forbid still sounds cool.
Other possibilities:
Might Aphrodite!
Fukurokuju! (one of the Seven Lucky Gods in Japanese mythology but sounds a bit rude)

Big list of other gods to choose from (http://www.rationalresponders.com/a_big_list_of_gods_but_nowhere_near_all_of_them).

Does saying god's names out loud make a difference?
MIaORknS1Dk
:sqbiggrin:

Monotheism was born in ancient Egypt in an idea by a Pharaoh,...
They thought cats were pretty groovy too. So do I.

That is not a theory, Cry, it's a fact.
A want is a fact, or was the fact that the woman wanted a baby?

Atom, this debate isn't about whether or not you believe God exists...but whether the name God should be capitalized.
We could tackle both! What better place than to answer the biggest questions that have humans have pondered for eons, right here on BTWIMHO in a Republicans finnaly found a tax cut they don't like thread? We might even get around to talking about Republicans again.

Q: Is everywhere a place?

Q: Where?

Makes me think of Catechism.

I knew I shouldn't have taken that nap earlier.
Naps can be dangerous.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/JacobsLaddertoHeaven.jpg

Atom
11-01-2012, 03:13 AM
(...)

That is not a theory, Cry, it's a fact.A want is a fact, or was the fact that the woman wanted a baby?(...)She was replying to this;

Atom
11-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Ok, I'll concede that the idea has a name, but it's a name that should never be used because no one knows it's meaning.

Atom
11-01-2012, 03:46 AM
All the crap that happens in this name is almost beyond belief, yet nobody knows what the hell it is, that is real cute.

Atom
11-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Typical thick as a brick humans.

Atom
11-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Is god really a noun?

Atom
11-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Of course not. Even Merriam Webster was brain washed.

Strong
11-01-2012, 08:01 AM
I applaud all yous' thinking about dis spelling and de gram ma, b't yous can tek it toooooo far man!

It is not the spelling or, grammar or, punctuation that merits so much attention, it is the thoughts and wisdom they embody. The scribblings themselves are really just guidelines, at least for me. Language is liquid and flows through time. Think back but a couple of decades to that of a previous generation and you will see. Look back at literature to Shakespeare and Chaucer and it is barely recognisable.

That said, I feel the need to say to fastreplies, kudos to you, while I find it difficult to understand what the hell you are trying to say at times, at least you are making an effort. But perhaps you should become moderatelyquickreplies and try and say what you mean a little more simply, without the sarcasm and questions, they make your posts very difficult to read. Still, I'm glad your back.

Atom
11-01-2012, 08:07 AM
I can barely remember a thing I learned in grammar class, I kid you not, I shouldn't really be debating the capitalization subject lol.

Strong
11-01-2012, 08:33 AM
We all know that they are used at the start of sentences, for names of people, places and events (proper nouns), for 'I', and for titles. This is where some confusion can arise.

Writing and grammar (http://hospitality.hud.ac.uk/studyskills/writing/Punctuation/capitals.htm)

So the question becomes; is g/God a name, a title, or a tree? If it is a name or title use a capital. If it is a tree then don't use a capital.

In answer, as someone above pointed out, the name of the Abrahamic god is Jehovah, is it not? Thus god is not his name, thus god does not need to be capitalized. If you accept there is only one god, monotheistic religions for instance, then the term is used as a title to refer to their deity and hence capitalized. If you are an atheist and see god as another tooth fairy, then what are you to do. Technically you can't use it as a title. Thus capitalization is based on belief, so believe it or not, you can do what you like so long as your belief allows it.

As I said, don't worry about it. The Tooth Fairy doesn't! Or as I like to call her, Jessica.

Cryren8972
11-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, Strong, once again, I'm going to have to fall back on how it's used. If you say, "God is here", then you're technically using it as a proper noun. As opposed to saying, "Your god is here." So it doesn't matter what your actual belief is, it matters how you're using the word/name. You capitalized Jahovah because you used it as a name. Doesn't mean you've accepted the definition of Jahovah. What does Jehovah mean (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Jehovah_mean)

Muddy
11-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Anything that is worshiped can be termed a god, inasmuch as the worshiper attributes to it might greater than his own and venerates it. Even money can be a god. So if I say, "God is here", how would you know which god I was talking about?

Cryren8972
11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Well, if you didn't mean the one everyone refers to as God, then I assume you would specify. Or, you could simply say, your god is here...that god is here, no god is here...etc.

Like this guy, who happens to be atheist: Ask Richard: Why Should I Capitalize the Word “God”? | Friendly Atheist (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/03/17/ask-richard-why-should-i-capitalize-the-word-%E2%80%9Cgod%E2%80%9D/)

Muddy
11-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Well, if you didn't mean the one everyone refers to as God, then I assume you would specify. Or, you could simply say, your god is here...that god is here, no god is here...etc.

Everyone? Think about what you're saying there hun.

Besides, gods have names. Is your god the same one the ancient Israelites and early Christians worshiped? If so, he has a name and it's not "God".

Cryren8972
11-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Yes, it's commonly known that when using the proper noun "God", that you are referring to the Christian God, and not just any god. Like saying Allah, you know you're referring to the Muslim god. The Christian God actually has many names that have been used. But God is widely accepted to mean, in it's proper noun form, as the God in the Bible. Note, that I used the capital version when referring to the Christian God, and not the Muslim god...and that is how I show you where my respect and belief lies....not the proper noun version.

Muddy
11-01-2012, 10:58 AM
The Christian God actually has many names that have been used.

What are they?

Halo
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Time for a song.

4f6wzGpFKUQ

Very few people could get away with the line:
"Goose-stepping twelve-stepping Tetotalitarianists" methinks.

Cryren8972
11-01-2012, 11:05 AM
THE MANY NAMES OF GOD (http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/documents/The%20Many%20Names%20of%20God.htm)

Note, Elohim translates to God. Many of the names translate to God with additions, i.e. God Almighty, etc. All this proves, Muddy, is that we Christians call Him God. That's the name He has taken on to us, and it's understood by the masses. Are you implying that when you hear God in a song, you think of Zeus?

Muddy
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
THE MANY NAMES OF GOD (http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/documents/The%20Many%20Names%20of%20God.htm)

Note, Elohim translates to God. Many of the names translate to God with additions, i.e. God Almighty, etc. All this proves, Muddy, is that we Christians call Him God. That's the name He has taken on to us, and it's understood by the masses. Are you implying that when you hear God in a song, you think of Zeus?

It depends entirely on the song and who's singing it etc.

If a so-called Christian were singing it I'd probably think they were referring to the god of the Israelites and early Christians mentioned previously. However, referring to a god is still not the same as using its name.

Cryren8972
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Let's put it simply. By typing an upper case when referring to God, you aren't accepting him as your own. You are simply acknowledging that there is a religion out there that does refer to their god as God. Much the same as you're acknowledging that Muslims call their god Allah. It's no skin off your nose really, unless you let it be.

fastreplies
11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
If you accept there is only one god, monotheistic religions for instance, then the term is used as a title to refer to their deity and hence capitalized.

Agree.
Regardless if we’re using it as a personal name or as a title, when we’re addressing someone
then proper thing to do is to use capitalization: President, God, Ladies and Gentlemen, Zap.

I had picked that up while taking 3 months long crash English as forth language (in my case) course.
BTW, other 3 languages are using the same capitalization rule.

fastreplies

Muddy
11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Agree.
Regardless if we’re using it as a personal name or as a title, when we’re addressing someone
then proper thing to do is to use capitalization: President, God, Ladies and Gentlemen, Zap.

I had picked that up while taking 3 months long crash English as forth language (in my case) course.

fastreplies

Yes when you're addressing someone in particular and using the title in conjunction with a proper noun. We wouldn't say, "The President will be speaking". We would say, "President Obama will be speaking". We wouldn't say, "president obama will be speaking". We would say, "The president will be speaking".

Halo
11-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Are you implying that when you hear God in a song, you think of Zeus?
I think of the Christian God, but years of Catholic edumacation will do that to ya. ;)
Satan, Hell and Heaven will all be capitalized too. Has anyone noticed I've been using the z in capitalised up til now. Trying to fit in with all you and your fangled spelling.

Listening to The Tiger Lillies made me think of Heaven or Hell. Even if they don't exist as places, they exist as ideas (imaginary places?). My primary teacher told me a noun was "a person, place, animal or thing". Ideas are amorphous but can probably safely come under the heading of things.
QqEU5F7z7FI
68XVBdOd2UA

... God, Ladies and Gentlemen, Zap.

WVmktIgQEfo

Now that is interesting. What are the others?

fastreplies
I'm still curious why you do this, did you see my other question?

We wouldn't say, "The President will be speaking". We would say, "President Obama will be speaking". We wouldn't say, "president obama will be speaking". We would say, "The president will be speaking".

You wouldn't say "Oh God, not him again?"?
^Should that have 2 question marks?

fastreplies
11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Now that is interesting. What are the others?

I’ll give you some hints.

I can easily communicate using another 4 languages used by people in 4 European countries
I have studied “Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism” and “Das Kapital” in its original languages

I'm still curious why you do this...

I guess force of habit.
I can Google and easily find my posts that having this keyword in body of the post.

fastreplies

ewomack
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Muslims consider Allah the same god as God. They also accept Jesus (though not as divine) and the Qu'ran is filled with similar stories to the Bible, including stories of Jesus. Of course, I haven't met a Christian that agrees with this, that they're also worshiping Allah, but God and Allah are supposed to be the same god, just in different times. Vedanta would say that all religions essentially do the same thing and that every conception of "God" really points to the same ineffable "thing" be it substance, force, etc. Ramakrishna, one of Vedanta's big names, even personally practiced most of the world's major religions. Some people thought he was crazy, but he would apparently answer them with something equivalent to "what's the big deal? They all do the same thing."

BadMutha
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Of course, I haven't met a Christian that agrees with this, that they're also worshiping Allah, but God and Allah are supposed to be the same god, just in different times.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Christian (Ha!). But I do recognize this. I may be a bit different because I only practice Catholicism as a tradition and a foundation of good moral values. My spiritual beliefs lie elsewhere. I believe it is impossible to match my spiritual beliefs to any organized religion.

Cryren8972
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
I recognize it as well. There are too many similarities not to. Just like the Qu'ran, the Bible has some things that have been misconstrued or misused for personal gain. Unfortunately, I'm with BadMutha, in that it would be difficult to say exactly what category I would fall into. I believe in Jesus, there is too much evidence to deny his existence. Do I believe he's the son of God? Well, once I rationalize it, I can't help but to feel that HE thought so, and so did many other people that were around at that time. Technically, we are ALL "sons" and "daughters" if you get right down to the bottom of the crate of belief. I tried to spout some ideas on this forum when I first joined, but I learned the hard way that people are so afraid to explore anything other than what they firmly believe that they will shut down and become completely closed to ANY other options. With that said, I only ventured to point out that it was grammatically correct to use capitalization when referring to God. I wasn't interested in getting involved in a theological discussion on here, I know where that always leads.

I do hope though, that if anything, I have at least changed some minds that anyone believing in God is an idiot. I can swallow being wrong when I die and nothing happens...but being pigeonholed as dense stings. :sqwink:

Muddy
11-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I hope nothing I posted made you feel that way Cry. If so, it sure wasn't intentional.

Cryren8972
12-01-2012, 04:42 AM
I hope nothing I posted made you feel that way Cry. If so, it sure wasn't intentional.

What, dense? Absolutely not. You are one of my favorite peeps! And I have completely enjoyed our discussion on this. Seriously. :sqbiggrin:

Halo
12-01-2012, 04:46 AM
I'll bet it was that Dutch guy.

:hippie:

Strong
12-01-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Christian (Ha!). But I do recognize this. I may be a bit different because I only practice Catholicism as a tradition and a foundation of good moral values. My spiritual beliefs lie elsewhere. I believe it is impossible to match my spiritual beliefs to any organized religion.

Aren't they mutually exclusive dude?

So that's no condoms, sex only in marriage, and as many badmutha's as you can make during your life time? I'm not criticising BTW. Well except the condom thing, HIV across Africa is mostly down to the Pope, or as I like to call him, The Creepy One. Oh, and the world is overpopulated so, yeah, that too. But hey, I've got nothing against sex in marriage.

Well, Strong, once again, I'm going to have to fall back on how it's used. If you say, "God is here", then you're technically using it as a proper noun. As opposed to saying, "Your god is here." So it doesn't matter what your actual belief is, it matters how you're using the word/name. You capitalized Jahovah because you used it as a name. Doesn't mean you've accepted the definition of Jahovah. What does Jehovah mean (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Jehovah_mean)

Well to my mind, if I said "God is here" it would be tantamount to admitting the existence of said supernatural being, and that I can't do. I would be complicit in perpetuating the delusion. I would generally only ever say "Your god". And it does matter what my belief is, because I choose to wear it on my sleeve in this respect, I always use lower case god whenever I remember, just to mark the difference in my own mind.

Yes, it's commonly known that when using the proper noun "God", that you are referring to the Christian God, and not just any god. ...

In the Western world perhaps, but then you are forgetting about he other two thirds of the world population are you not?

... It's no skin off your nose really, unless you let it be.
Indeed. It does matter in some ways to me.

I recognize it as well. There are too many similarities not to. Just like the Qu'ran, the Bible has some things that have been misconstrued or misused for personal gain. Unfortunately, I'm with BadMutha, in that it would be difficult to say exactly what category I would fall into. I believe in Jesus, there is too much evidence to deny his existence. Do I believe he's the son of God? Well, once I rationalize it, I can't help but to feel that HE thought so, and so did many other people that were around at that time. Technically, we are ALL "sons" and "daughters" if you get right down to the bottom of the crate of belief. I tried to spout some ideas on this forum when I first joined, but I learned the hard way that people are so afraid to explore anything other than what they firmly believe that they will shut down and become completely closed to ANY other options. With that said, I only ventured to point out that it was grammatically correct to use capitalization when referring to God. I wasn't interested in getting involved in a theological discussion on here, I know where that always leads.

I do hope though, that if anything, I have at least changed some minds that anyone believing in God is an idiot. I can swallow being wrong when I die and nothing happens...but being pigeonholed as dense stings. :sqwink:

I'll bet it was that Dutch guy.

:hippie:

Ferre hasn't even posted yet so it can't be him. I have a feeling it might have been me with that reference to Jessica, the Tooth Fairy. If you are offended them I'm sorry Cry. I thought we were just talking, no offence was meant, at least not on my part.

Cryren8972
12-01-2012, 09:28 AM
No offense taken, and to be honest, it's not one person in particular. It's an entire cast of folks who are so afraid that they may imply they believe in God, that they don't care who they offend. I respect your views, and I believe you respect mine. However, jumping at the opportunity to point out that someone may be Christian, and then being quick to judge, try, and condemn, I just don't understand (once again, no fingers are pointed at you or anyone in particular). I thought with my presence here that maybe I had at least gained some ground in the respect department. I'm not talking about me, but more closely referring to my chosen religion. Time and time again, I see atheist (not just you guys) get upset because of what I believe in. I guess I just don't understand why I can't be me, and you be you, and it all be OK.

Atom
12-01-2012, 10:53 AM
A: God does not exist.

B: god exists.

pctec
12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
May I suggest we ask Mel to clear up the god damned question once and for all...

Atom
12-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Strongy this friggin rep monster won't let me rep you, something about I have to spread some legs first or some categorical nonsense ..

Muddy
12-01-2012, 11:15 AM
No offense taken, and to be honest, it's not one person in particular. It's an entire cast of folks who are so afraid that they may imply they believe in God, that they don't care who they offend. I respect your views, and I believe you respect mine. However, jumping at the opportunity to point out that someone may be Christian, and then being quick to judge, try, and condemn, I just don't understand (once again, no fingers are pointed at you or anyone in particular). I thought with my presence here that maybe I had at least gained some ground in the respect department. I'm not talking about me, but more closely referring to my chosen religion. Time and time again, I see atheist (not just you guys) get upset because of what I believe in. I guess I just don't understand why I can't be me, and you be you, and it all be OK.

Well, I'm glad you aren't offended...you certainly aren't offensive in the least.

Cry, I think I can speak for most if not all of us, you and your religion (whatever it may be) are indeed respected by us. Ferre is very passionate and I dig him for it. It's refreshing to see in the midst of the apathetic, lemmingesque, mob mentality that is daily becoming more and more popular in our society. However I hope you don't feel that any one of us (or the whole) have judged you...God forbid tried and condemned you. How'd you like that capital G??? lol! I honestly don't think any of us, including Ferre gets upset because of what you believe in. You absolutely can be you and it IS okay! It's more than okay! It's awesome! I think you must realize by now that we all adore you.

By the way, you're not the only non-atheist in here. :) Personally I don't resolutely say "There is no god." I resolutely say, "There is no proof." :)

Atom
12-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Strongy this friggin rep monster won't let me rep you, something about I have to spread some legs first or some categorical nonsense ..

I'm not going to thank you for post #103 until I've whored myself out or w/e it is they want me to do because as you know if I do that then I can't rep the post.

Muddy
12-01-2012, 11:21 AM

I'm not going to thank you for post #103 until I've whored myself out or w/e it is they want me to do because as you know if I do that then I can't rep the post.

Your ability to Thank should be limitless. If you're trying to give actual rep then yeah...spread it! lol! Also remember that once you Thank someone for a post, you can't then give rep for the same post. You must first give rep and then Thank.

Atom
12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
god, to me represents the idea itself, which of course can be proven scientifically to exist.

Atom
12-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I know that I do cross the line occasionally saying that God doesn't exist, which of course cannot be a true statement. The truth is that I know that God may exist, unlikely as it is, and I'm just being sarcastic, for which I apologize. Now, if we can get an apology out of these freaks who say that God does exist, we'll be all set.

Atom
12-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Why do I say freaks? Because they are not being sarcastic, which totally freaks me out.

Atom
12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Firstly, I'd like an apology from every piece of garbage televangelist alive. Until that happens I suspect I'll be still crossing the line now and again as my anger and loss of good judgement permits.

fastreplies
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM

One of main favorite poisons is atheism but I do believe in your and people’s religious
rights and freedoms as long they’re keeping their believes to themselves and worship
their Gods inside their homes, families and churches without imposing on the rest of us
byproduct of their believes morality throughout a legislative processes.

So, with all due respect to your believes and you personally as long you’re respecting
my right to enjoy my poison, I have no problems with you enjoying yours.

Of course Politics is totally different story. :smile:

fastreplies

fastreplies
12-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Your ability to Thank should be limitless. If you're trying to give actual rep then yeah...spread it! lol! Also remember that once you Thank someone for a post, you can't then give rep for the same post. You must first give rep and then Thank.

Talking about Thanks button.
For some reason when I use it, my Thanks never come up in posts.
I told Zap about that malfunction but he has no idea what's wrong.

So, it's not that I never use Thanks, it's just looks like forum script ignores when I do it.

fastreplies

fastreplies
12-01-2012, 02:55 PM
So, now we've done with God's issues... how do you like Obama's tax cuts?

fastreplies

pctec
12-01-2012, 03:24 PM
By the way, you're not the only non-atheist in here. :) Personally I don't resolutely say "There is no god." I resolutely say, "There is no proof." :)

Agnostic heathen!!!
You are in good company as I am one of those as well... My wife is a Christian and I have friends who are as well. We have all had many debates on the issue. I have no problem with people believing whatever they want but I am the type who cannot believe blindly. Maybe one day I will come face to face with my maker and feel truly humbled. If that is the case, I am sure (s)he will understand.

Atom
12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
If Darwin had been around 2000 years ago I suspect we wouldn't be having all these problems with this religious lot.

Atom
12-01-2012, 04:14 PM
I think it's a pretty sad society that allows nuts on TV to perpetuate this madness of something existing that has never been proven to.

Atom
12-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Scientific theories of such things are just that, simply theories, they're not shoved at you like TV commercials as truth.

pctec
12-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Are you saying TV commercials are not true?
Phuck!

Muddy
12-01-2012, 04:22 PM
8uTfD-XQFpA

Atom
12-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Are you saying TV commercials are not true?
Phuck!No I'm saying televangelists are shoved at you like TV commercials, they are here anyway, and I'm talking every day of the week, all with one message, that something exists without proof, and it just so happens to be responsible for the existence of everything else. It's utterly preposterous to the sane individual, I kinda feel sorry for them.

Atom
12-01-2012, 04:43 PM
The sane, that is.

That's right, I've included myself with the insane, just for different reasons. lol

ewomack
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
I don't think anyone here was afraid of being perceived as believing in God... I remember the thread you mentioned, Cry... it was quite a while ago... speaking for myself, I was just voicing my views. I remember you used Pascal's wager and I quoted the usual response to Pascal's wager... I don't care if you believe in God or not, I just find Pascal's wager a very pernicious argument. It was just discussion. When you announced you were leaving I immediately thought of that thread...

<ramble>
It seems like we have a whole hoof of agnostics here. I fall into that, too. A while back I was a frothing atheist, but I saw that atheism itself can become a close-minded dogma. But, just like Christians or any other religiosity, there are good and bad followers. I have yet to hear a knockdown convincing argument for the existence of God, or of any Supreme Being (is that capitalized?). I also have yet to hear a knockdown convincing argument for pure atheism. Though I admit I don't think God, or whatever it turns out to be, if anything, is an anthropomorphic deity watching us from the heavens. To me the Christian God just has too much human in it. It's too conceivable. But that's me. If I believe in any God, I believe in Spinoza's God (yes, he capitalized it) - Einstein apparently did, too, or he at least discussed believing in it. Though many theists find Spinoza atheistic. Spinoza was offended at being called atheistic - he thought his notion of God was "true religion" so perhaps he was another dogmatist... but his God is the closest I've come to theism, if it can even be called that... usually I just say "I don't know, and no one else really does, either." So I agree we should not be afraid to discuss our beliefs, but also not be offended when someone challenges them, either. And to not take discussions about religion personally. Because, really, no one really has a clue deep down. Life is still an utter mystery. We all have our frameworks to give it meaning and purpose, and that's fine as long as we don't step on others in the process.
</ramble>

Cryren8972
12-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Ed, I actually don't remember you commenting on Pascal's wager. To be honest, I'm not even speaking of that thread specifically either. I'm more referring to the feeling that I have a bugger hanging from my nose any time theology comes up. I was arguing this time, from a purely grammatical view, but no one could see past that because they were busy looking at the bugger on my nose. I've noticed in other threads it's a touchy subject as well. I don't take things personally if challenged, I take it personally when others assume I might be too dim to see past my own religious nose and argue on a literary level instead. I've had many discussions on here turn to me being Christian, and most of them are very sensitive and respectful, that's not my point. My basic point is that I wish sometimes I could actually have an intelligent discussion without being challenging me theologically. If any one on here desires answers or even if they want me to defend why I believe what I believe, I'm very happy to do so. It's just not my main point most of the time. I've actually gone out of my way, on that long ago thread, this thread, and other threads to say, hey listen, take Christianity out of this for a moment and pay attention to what I'm actually saying. Believe me when I say my feelings aren't hurt, I'm not offended, I'm just calling you guys out on staring at my bugger.
Kind of like my boobs...and you Ed, you can't leave my underknees alone. :sqlaugh: And please, that does NOT mean I wish you to stop discussing my underknees, I think they're quite lovely, and would appease your underknee fetish with gusto. Just like I don't wish to stop discussing theology. It's actually fascinating to me to hear other people's ideas and thoughts on the subject as long as it's done in a respectful way. Maybe I need a code phrase or something, like "Not God today" something to let you guys know that I'm speaking AROUND that particular subject and trying to make a different point altogether.

I accept part of the blame myself, because I have been trying very hard to completely avoid the subject, so when I end up speaking about it, I can get a little gun shy. I promise to watch that as well.

Atom
12-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Alrighty then. Anyone for circumcision?

Atom
12-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Boy that was a wild one over at the other place, I think it finally got trashed or locked or something.

Atom
12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I used to have a huge collection of all the best posts over there but lost the HDD, and by best I pretty much mean the opposite of what Cricket would consider the best. lol

fastreplies
12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Alrighty then. Anyone for circumcision?

Circumcision, eh?

Did you ever wonder who was the Smart Alec who has went against God's will
and decided to change the shape and original design defined by creator himself?

fastreplies

Muddy
12-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Circumcision, eh?

fastreplies

Either Abraham, his son Ishmael, or one of the other men in their household. Probably Abraham though...he probably would have led the way.

Atom
12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Circumcision, eh?

fastrepliesYes. That is a weird one. I'm actually for it but not for religious reasons.

fastreplies
13-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Either Abraham, his son Ishmael, or one of the other men in their household. Probably Abraham though...he probably would have led the way.

Yes. That is a weird one. I'm actually for it but not for religious reasons.

You two missed the point.
Somebody has had dare to challenge God’s intent and will, fact which makes me to wonder:
if believers were doubt creator’s aspiration thus his authority by virtually correcting what He
have has done, how can they claim that they are real believers and devoted followers?

fastreplies

Muddy
13-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Somebody has had dare to challenge God’s intent and will, fact which makes me to wonder:
if believers were doubt creator’s aspiration thus his authority by virtually correcting what He
have has done, how can they claim that they are real believers and devoted followers?

fastreplies

Well, according to the bible, God was the one who told Abraham to get circumcised and for all males thereafter to do so.

Atom
13-01-2012, 04:58 AM

fastrepliesNope, I knew exactly what your point was.

Atom
13-01-2012, 06:34 AM
If I had sons I would have it done to them at birth for aesthetic reasons.

pctec
13-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Circumcision disgusts me...
Whoever thought it up can go fuck themselves. That includes Abraham, his son Ishmael, or one of the other men in their household...

vLGcqPE7xu0

pctec
13-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Well, according to the bible, God was the one who told Abraham to get circumcised and for all males thereafter to do so.

The bible also tells you to pay your taxes as well as 15% of your earnings to the church...
Both are a form of extortion...

Atom
13-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Whoever thought it up can go fuck themselves. That includes Abraham, his son Ishmael, or one of the other men in their household...

[YT]vLGcqPE7xu0[/YT ]Ok well we can talk about something else.

pctec
13-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Can we talk about my non Jewish dick being cut when I was a baby because the idiot doctor at the time said it would prevent disease?
What as asshole he was!

Cryren8972
13-01-2012, 07:54 AM
The bible also tells you to pay your taxes as well as 15% of your earnings to the church...

Actually it's ordering Israel to tithe the Levites, and it's 10%. So actually, even if you take out the fact that it was ordered to the Levites only, and not the church, Isreal itself was supposed to pay, not the people. It's one of the reasons they separated church and state. At that point, the church was forced to get it's funding from individuals. There are actually some churches that believe it's going AGAINST the Bible to ask for 10%. They only ask for what you can give, if anything.

Atom
13-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Can we talk about my non Jewish dick being cut when I was a baby because the idiot doctor at the time said it would prevent disease?
What as asshole he was!

Sure. Yeah I wouldn't have it done for that reason, my reason would be solely for aesthetic purposes.

pctec
13-01-2012, 08:07 AM
So you had it done later in life? LOL

Atom
13-01-2012, 08:09 AM
No at birth, I don't remember a thing. I wonder if they give them an anesthetic.

pctec
13-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Watch the Penn and Teller video I posted above for the answer...

Cryren8972
13-01-2012, 08:36 AM
No, they don't give anesthetic. I asked them to at least put some numbing solution on my son before they clipped...they balked at that, but by golly I made them. Looking back, I wish I had never had it done. I was hesitant then, and allowed myself to be persuaded by the times and social norms, even though I knew the cons as well. It's one of the things that I'm actually ashamed of. I have no clue why the Bible orders it done, and this is one case in which I would have "disobeyed" had there not been so many other social stigmas attached to not being clipped. "He should look like his father so he doesn't think he's different." "It's cleaner this way, boys have a hard time cleaning it properly" etc etc etc.

Atom
13-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Watch the Penn and Teller video I posted above for the answer...

Ok. I actually should've already done that but put it off. Sometimes I watch several together instead of as they're posted.

Muddy
13-01-2012, 08:41 AM

vLGcqPE7xu0

What as asshole he was!

I wasn't endorsing it. I was just telling FR who the first apparent skin-slicers were.

Cryren8972
13-01-2012, 08:42 AM
I tried to watch the video, and had to stop....I can't believe I let them do that to my baby. :sqembarrassed:

Muddy
13-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Actually it's ordering Israel to tithe the Levites, and it's 10%. So actually, even if you take out the fact that it was ordered to the Levites only, and not the church, Isreal itself was supposed to pay, not the people. It's one of the reasons they separated church and state. At that point, the church was forced to get it's funding from individuals. There are actually some churches that believe it's going AGAINST the Bible to ask for 10%. They only ask for what you can give, if anything.

That's because Jesus did away with the old law. He said, "Receive free, give free." (paraphrased).

Muddy
13-01-2012, 08:46 AM
No, they don't give anesthetic. I asked them to at least put some numbing solution on my son before they clipped...they balked at that, but by golly I made them. Looking back, I wish I had never had it done. I was hesitant then, and allowed myself to be persuaded by the times and social norms, even though I knew the cons as well. It's one of the things that I'm actually ashamed of. I have no clue why the Bible orders it done, and this is one case in which I would have "disobeyed" had there not been so many other social stigmas attached to not being clipped. "He should look like his father so he doesn't think he's different." "It's cleaner this way, boys have a hard time cleaning it properly" etc etc etc.

That too was part of the Old Law. It was required of Israel, not Christians. Christians today are not required to be circumcised.

Atom
13-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I wasn't endorsing it. (...)FTR, I wasn't either.

Cryren8972
13-01-2012, 09:04 AM
That too was part of the Old Law. It was required of Israel, not Christians. Christians today are not required to be circumcised.

All I have to say is: :sqembarrassed:

pctec
13-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't remember being cut but I'm sure it is why I'm such a jerk today...

:D

Muddy
13-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't remember being cut but I'm sure it is why I jerk today...

:D

You probably would anyway. lol!

Strong
13-01-2012, 11:24 AM
So, now we've done with God's issues... how do you like Obama's tax cuts?

fastreplies

No! Wait! I still have more to say about the grammar thing!!!

Ah bugger! Threads move so fast these days. :sqerr:

It's the thought that counts. Oh and the system software, but that's just a little software engineer joke so let's skim over that one as quickly as possible.

Agnostic heathen!!!
You are in good company as I am one of those as well... My wife is a Christian and I have friends who are as well. We have all had many debates on the issue. I have no problem with people believing whatever they want but I am the type who cannot believe blindly. Maybe one day I will come face to face with my maker and feel truly humbled. If that is the case, I am sure (s)he will understand.

Just for the record, I do get along with religious people, heck my wife is one and I've known her for way too long to count at this stage! It's really not that a bigger deal for me. In my view people are allowed to make their own mistakes, ultimately that is the only way to learn, so by not allowing them to do so you are preventing them from growing as a person. People come to the truth in their own way and in their own time. But the problem is will they forgive you for saying nothing when they come to realise the error of their ways. Not that I'm claim to be right BTW. I just believe I am, at least as far as I can see. Now with that at the back of your mind, how could you blame me for trying to persuade someone to see things my way. Hell, it's a responsibility.

Fuck! I just realised. :sqeek: That excuses Jehovah's witnesses. OK, I take it all back! I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about any more. Please ignore everything I say from here on in!!!

If Darwin had been around 2000 years ago I suspect we wouldn't be having all these problems with this religious lot.
They'd crucify him.

Strong
13-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Now for the circumcision thing.

Well I'm happy to say I haven't been. Oh the hours of fun I've had ... :whimsical smiley off in a world of his own:

There is only one medical reason for circumcision and that is if the foreskin is too tight. In such circumstances not removing it can lead to some dreadful situations. Hygiene is not an issue. During adolescence the foreskin expands enough to be pulled back enough to expose the head of the penis fully. Hence cleaning and thus hygiene is not an issue for an adult male. Pre-adolescent males have self cleaning penises, so again that shouldn't be a problem. The white stringy stuff, smeg (smegma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smegma)), that's the body doing it's thing.

And for you women out there who happen to want to give your partner a good wash at bath time, well a fully erect penis is easier to clean then a flaccid one. Now, am I just putting ideas into your heads, well that'll be for you to judge.

And just to get back to the republican candidates, well I think that's the problem with the current crop. In the words of Lister from Red Dwarf, they're a bunch of smeg heads!

fastreplies
13-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Makes no sense.
After creating perfect biological specimen in his own alike…
wait a minute, wait a minute, then why he has equipped cock with foreskin if his own
doesn’t have one? Not to mention, why not to make cock without foreskin in a first place?

If you believe what Bible says, then you have to believe that God is not perfect considering
how he has fucked up cock part of his creation. But if you believe God would never screw up
something as important as cock, then you have to believe that his followers made alterations
themselves in his name.

BTW, what is the deal with nipples? Why would God need nipples?

fastreplies

Muddy
13-01-2012, 02:05 PM
That's why I said "according to the bible"...or whatever I said. lol

pctec
13-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Nipples may not be important to god, but they sure do a world of good for me...

Halo
17-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Colbert being exploratory:
RiwSpP9iwy8

For Cry.
bYI_aOyCn9Y

Nipples may not be important to god, but they sure do a world of good for me...

Do they pick up Jazz FM?
0ofl_UP3apM

More Red Dwarf nipple nonsense.
loR-pEPz_B0

Strong
24-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Just to set the record straight for those of you desperate to know, Atom did thank me for post #103 as he promised. I know the stress of not knowing was unbearable.

Thanks Atom :sqlaugh:

Atom
24-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Just to set the record straight for those of you desperate to know, Atom did thank me for post #103 as he promised. I know the stress of not knowing was unbearable.

Thanks Atom :sqlaugh:Y/W except I think you meant Rep. I'm just glad I got to do it before I forgot, what with all this fuss and all. lol

Atom
24-01-2012, 01:16 PM
I'll tell ya, I am going to swear this Rep stuff off again and go back to just using Thanks after all this. Green acres we are there.