PDA

View Full Version : Jesus a Buddhist Monk?

ewomack
22-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Here's a BBC documentary that discusses possible alternative interpretations of the New Testament synoptic Gospels. Though nothing remains definitive, it contains some surprising things I had never heard before, including that a community in Kashmir claims to have the tomb of Christ and that he died there around 80 AD. It doesn't aim to destroy Christianity, it just explores elements of Christianity that many today have difficulty believing, such as a literal resurrection. Interesting in any case.

-YbUEZfJJaQ

Atom
22-01-2012, 03:54 PM
That's correct, and this Jesus also happens to be the son of Santa Clause as well. Not a lot of people know that.

Atom
22-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I think that there will always be doubt where faith is involved, but I do not think that there will always be faith where doubt is involved.

Atom
22-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Is this to insinuate that doubt may be or is more credible than faith?

Somehow, yes.

Just a thought.

ewomack
22-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I won't accept this heresy! David Hasselhoff is the son of Santa Claus!!!! Which the below video shows Q.E.D.!!!

g0rxu2qAPQ8

Atom
22-01-2012, 07:09 PM
When a guy's chest starts going bald, you know he's getting old. Time for a switch back to The Monkeys turtleneck, no one will suspect a thing.

Cryren8972
23-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I haven't had a chance to watch the video in it's entirety. However, I want to point out that at the time, if you proclaimed to believe that Jesus was the son of God, then you could have very well been put to death. Two of the men that documented this, and also started churches, were staunch disbelievers until they saw the resurrection. They stood to lose their lives in a terrible manner by proclaiming what they saw. They had nothing to "gain" by believing this happened, or starting a church. They actually had much to lose.

ewomack
23-01-2012, 08:15 PM
If you proclaimed anything that went against the ethos of the power structure of the time, you were very likely to be put to death (and it's pretty much still true today if you speak loudly enough). People who start any religion that challenges power obviously take a risk, but they also think they have much more to gain. In this case, eternal salvation, which to a lot of early Christians (according to Christian and non-Christian sources), trumped even a grisly death. Roman records show numerous people volunteering to go to the coliseum because they believed they would go straight to heaven after they were ripped to pieces. So they believed they had more to gain than to lose, otherwise taking such a risk would not be worth it. The church, or at least the Catholic church, still romanticizes these people and depicts them as saintly. The recently discovered Gospel of Judas, which was censored at the time and lost for centuries, depicts Jesus as speaking out against people throwing themselves to the lions in the name of salvation. Early Christianity is endlessly fascinating.

Strong
29-01-2012, 06:58 AM
... Roman records show numerous people volunteering to go to the coliseum because they believed they would go straight to heaven after they were ripped to pieces. So they believed they had more to gain than to lose, otherwise taking such a risk would not be worth it. ...

(Likely story! Reminds me of Monty Python!!!) Wouldn't that amount to suicide, in effect? Which in some religions is considered a sin.

ewomack
25-02-2012, 10:51 PM
D9w-xJfSOyc

Atom
26-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Ok good, we've got some DNA, just need to excavate the shrine now. If all works out with this genetic business, we can recreate him and maybe do a bit more extensive interrogation this time, we'll get the truth out of him.

Strong
26-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Sod the little wafers on Sunday, Jesus burgers! Real holy flesh.

Or is holy DNA like seeing his face on a potato?

ewomack
21-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Here's the same basic documentary told in a very different way:

qbe3Bw72G-4

ewomack
27-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Here's a movie featuring a self-proclaimed Christian who tries to find the ancient documents concerning Jesus in India - he also tries to go to the purported tomb in Kashmir... for the interested... results are, of course, inconclusive, but it contains other bits not mentioned elsewhere...

M4IgUUzbFQ4

Atom
27-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Interesting.
I watched all but the first one.

This stuff is a bit hard for me to watch because the existence of god is not even questioned, and rightly so, if you know what I mean.

Atom
27-05-2013, 10:16 PM
1 Hey .. isn't that the son of god?

2 The son of what?

1 Well quite frankly, I don't know.

2 Take a pill buddy.

Atom
27-05-2013, 10:16 PM
That's really how simple that argument is.

Atom
27-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Oh but don't let little details like that deter us shalln't we? On with religion!

Atom
27-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Define god.

Special Announcement:

Atom
27-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Yes .. let's make shit up because the planets are so awesome and the evolutionary biotrash so charming.

Atom
27-05-2013, 10:53 PM
All god religion stinks, badly.

Atom
27-05-2013, 11:07 PM
All religions should get along? Yeah sure, let's multiply the strength of the aroma of ignorance and outright insolence on reality.

Strong
28-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I watched the Life of Pi yesterday. Good film. Apparently, according to Wikipedia, Obama wrote to the author and declared the book was an eloquent proof of the existence of God. Explains Guantanamo bay and the 'legality' of drone strikes if you ask me.

Still, a good film, I would recommend watching it.