PDA

View Full Version : UN Investigator Warns US on Use of Drones

Ferre
28-10-2009, 01:16 PM
UN Investigator Warns US on Use of Drones - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8931296)

A U.N. human rights investigator warned the United States Tuesday that its use of unmanned warplanes to carry out targeted executions may violate international law.

Philip Alston said that unless the Obama administration explains the legal basis for targeting particular individuals and the measures it is taking to comply with international humanitarian law which prohibits arbitrary executions, "it will increasingly be perceived as carrying out indiscriminate killings in violation of international law."

Alston, the U.N. Human Rights Council's investigator on extrajudicial, summary and arbitrary executions, raised the issue of U.S. Predator drones in a report to the General Assembly's human rights committee and at a news conference afterwards, saying he has become increasingly concerned at the dramatic increase in their use, especially in Afghanistan and Pakistan, since June.

He said the U.S. response — that the Geneva-based council and the General Assembly have no role in relation to killings during an armed conflict — "is simply untenable."

There was a time when I read a lot of science fiction and even science fiction has this one golden rule about robots and killing people. In fact, "Robotica" has three rules (written by Isaac Asimov);

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I'm all for putting those rules into actual laws, specially in relation to all the robot techniques that are being developed and used by the US and other governments specifically aimed at hurting humans.

Zap
29-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I wonder how Obama would feel about one of these things being sent after him.
Fair usage within a war. Right?

Strong
29-10-2009, 12:09 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/more_accurate.png

http://xkcd.com/652/

Robots will inherit the Earth. Pack your bags now folks.

julien_simon
29-10-2009, 12:35 PM
where are we going?

Ferre
29-10-2009, 12:37 PM
The wrong direction if you ask me.

Strong
29-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Where robots fear to tread!

julien_simon
29-10-2009, 12:41 PM
and where is this place?

I'd like to book my flight now with my air miles.

Strong
29-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Well if I blurted it out over the net, THEY would know!

julien_simon
29-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I thought we scared the bots away with all the crap we keep saying.

Strong
29-10-2009, 12:53 PM
You can't scare a google bot away man!

julien_simon
29-10-2009, 12:54 PM
watch me:

<html>
<head>
<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />
<title>Don't index this page - it's full of weirdos</title>
</head>

Strong
29-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Now go to google's cache and I bet they'll have a copy of this thread and their secret bots will be all over it!

julien_simon
29-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Google hasn't actually cached that page yet - what the heck are they waiting for!

We are amongst the best resources on the internet!

iowadawg
29-10-2009, 02:30 PM
My thoughts?

FUCK THE UN!!!

That organization should be thrown off USA shores and the USA should leave that body of muslim lovers, jew haters, american haters, liberals, and more.

For robots?
MORE!!

Load the skies over a few countries with bots dropping more bots who will kill all who oppose us..