Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,264 Posts

UK government 'approved Abdel Hakim Belhaj's rendition'

The UK government approved the 2004 rendition of a terror suspect to the Gaddafi regime, the BBC can reveal.

A letter from an MI6 officer refers to Abdel Hakim Belhaj's rendition to Libya. It congratulates the Libyans on the "safe arrival" of the "air cargo".

Mr Belhaj says he was tortured in jail. Successive UK governments have denied complicity in rendition or torture.

But BBC correspondent Peter Taylor says he understands Mr Belhaj's rendition was given ministerial approval.
    That would make it the time of the Blair Government. I hang my head in shame for the actions of my country.
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost." Dalai Lama

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Strong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post

That would make it the time of the Blair Government. I hang my head in shame for the actions of my country.
    We all do, Dude. None of our leaders have much to be proud of over the last decade +.

Maybe it's time we expanded the rendition program but limit it to politicians!
    #1 Pickup Line: Hey. Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

♫♫ Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content ♫♫

Thanks
    Yeah, grab Blair and Bush, drag them to Guantanamo, hog tie them and water board the truth out of them.

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that they made a bad situation worst not better. And the current incumbents aren't helping either.
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost." Dalai Lama

Thanks
    Tony Blair has 'no recollection' of Libyan dissident's rendition

So, His government in office and he had no idea that rendition was going on under his very nose. Either he is a lying bastard or a useless Prime Minister. Cock up theory usually prevails, which means both applies, he was a useless lying bastard!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And the people tasked to keep an eye on the executive, guess what, they can't get access to the evidence:

A federal judge in Washington has used part of the US freedom of information act to block a request from Britain's all-party parliamentary group on extraordinary rendition, chaired by the senior Tory backbencher Andrew Tyrie.

The judge, Ricardo Urbina, said that the information had to be withheld on grounds that the parliamentary body was part of a "foreign government entity".
    Idiot judge doesn't understand that a parliamentary committee is not part of the government, it is the body which oversees that the government is doing it's job correctly, it represents the British people's interests through direct elections. He has in effect said nobody can have access to that information.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    So, His government in office and he had no idea that rendition was going on under his very nose. Either he is a lying bastard or a useless Prime Minister. Cock up theory usually prevails, which means both applies, he was a useless lying bastard!
    What's new?

LOL, it's nothing compare to Iraq he has under his nose, a fact that should telegraph to Brits
    that he is "a lying bastard AND a useless Prime Minister".

fastreplies