Thanks

Applebee's waitress fired for posting 'I give God 10%' receipt to Reddit

A waitress at the family-restaurant chain Applebee's was fired this week after she posted to Reddit a photo of a bill, on which a self-described pastor had written "I give God 10%, why do you get 18" denied her a tip.

More...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Comments are pretty entertaining. lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,410 Posts
    What is the etiquette in regards to tipping in the States btw? You know, when and how much?
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost." Dalai Lama

Thanks
    Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,040 Posts
    Unless you receive absolutely appalling service, acceptable tipping etiquette varies from 15% - 20%. Some even tip for takeout. I've done everything from writing down "Don't let friends drive drunk" (a tip, get it?!? this was for an outright rude person) to giving a 50% tip for an absolutely awesome experience. Waitpeople go through absolute hell day in and day out for the most part, so I really try to be extremely friendly to them. I often see numerous pathetic people exploiting the one chance in their lives to strip someone of their dignity by screaming at and degrading a waitperson. There's no challenge in it and it's cruel since they have no defense because if they yell back they'll probably get fired (of course there are always exceptions for the occasional rude person). You may as well trip up a person on crutches. I always want to defend the poor person but of course that would just add to the nonsense.
    Last edited by ewomack; 03-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Ed Womack
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewomack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,410 Posts
    The fear of course is that you never know the contents of your food, hence many refuse to complain about bad service.

There used to be places over here that factored in tips as part of the basic salary, thus if someone didn't get tips it would lower their wage bill. But I think that has been clamped down on with the minimum wage legislation, but tips are still expected.
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost." Dalai Lama