Page 45 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellany

Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    So Zap got kicked off Facebook? I'm impressed. And proud. You belong here anyway, Zap. And that goes 1.2% for you too, Cry.

Atom is already here, so he knows he belongs here. I feel that he is the only one who has really accepted that fact, though. Clear thinker he be.
    It seems I can't keep my mouth shut and Facebook doesn't allow fake names... sometimes.
    That's a toxic combination for an activist who values their privacy.

Someone reported a comment of mine that they didn't like and FB canned Mike Wizowski for being a fake name.
    It's the third time I've had an account canned for using an alias and this time, I didn't bother going back.
    I'm not ruling out an eventual return, anything is possible, but I'm not interested in FB enough to be bothered with it right now.
    Bigger fish to fry.

And, of course, I still pop in here on a fairly regular basis cuz you guys ROCK!
    #1 Pickup Line: Hey. Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

♫♫ Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content ♫♫

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    Is Zap among the chosen few or the myriad multitude, I don't know. Is it easy to get kicked off Facebook? I know some places are like that.
    Tons of people get the Faceboot, for various arbitrary reasons. I'm not special in that way.
    It's kind of one of the reasons I like steemit.com so much. It's decentralized on it's own block chain. There is nobody with the ability to boot you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,082 Times in 1,802 Posts
    I only use my real name on 1 single site on the entire internet. That way no one can find me. I haven't used my real name on Facebook ever, but I also don't post much or make much noise, so no one likely cares. Plus, I only posted in Ojibwe for months. That doesn't exactly attract attention.
    Ed Womack
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ewomack For This Useful Post:

Zap

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Facebook actually expects its users to use their real name? That sounds crazy to me. And why is it called Facebook? Please don't tell me they have to use a real pic of themselves too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atom For This Useful Post:

Zap

Thanks
    And this Twitter. Really? What kind of twit names a forum Twitter? The name Google is so stupid that it really doesn't matter that it actually means something kinda cool, it still sounds stupid. But Twitter? I think that's even worse. What are we 6 y/o here? As for Face Book, that's a big NO and NO. No face, sorry. And I sure as hell ain't putting it in no book.

Thanks
    Hey, that was kinda fun. Who else we got? Let's see ...

lol

Thanks
    No but we have fun. Do we not? Yes we does.

I still think we should think about starting a forum named Forum Wars, where guest forums are invited to duke it out in nasty debates over contentious issues and whoever wins takes over ownership of the forum until they are knocked off and so on. The viewers, who can vote but will not be able to post, will be the judges. I think 2 or 3 debaters per forum should be sufficient and they will be the only ones able to post. The debates could last a few days, maybe 3. May the best forum win. lol

Thanks
    I know that Halo likes people that use lol after everything they say so I try not to let it get too dusty. lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    Facebook actually expects its users to use their real name? That sounds crazy to me. And why is it called Facebook? Please don't tell me they have to use a real pic of themselves too.
    It's pretty asinine to expect people to use their real name on the Internet, of all places. No wackos there! /sarc
    But there's actually some logic behind forcing that policy, just not any logic that benefits the users.
    Facebook sells the data they collect on their users to advertisers. Big money involved. So I guess they want as accurate a picture of you as possible.
    And no... Facebook doesn't ban people who don't use their real picture... yet.

And when they catch a fake name, they actually expect you to upload a scan of your photo ID to their servers for verification. I shit you not!
    They expect you to trust your identity documents to a multi-billion dollar company that started out with stolen data and regularly sells your data to third parties, while hosting your indentity documents on their hackable servers with a big bullseye on them. "Get the fuck outta here" was my reply.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm very upset with inanimate objects, they hardly ever do what you ask them to.

Looks like it's going to be another weathery day today, pressure, visibility, chance, boat and beach, allergy tracker, ski forecast the whole nine yards, I'd better start preparing right away.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    It's pretty asinine to expect people to use their real name on the Internet, of all places. No wackos there! /sarc
    But there's actually some logic behind forcing that policy, just not any logic that benefits the users.
    Facebook sells the data they collect on their users to advertisers. Big money involved. So I guess they want as accurate a picture of you as possible.
    And no... Facebook doesn't ban people who don't use their real picture... yet.

And when they catch a fake name, they actually expect you to upload a scan of your photo ID to their servers for verification. I shit you not!
    They expect you to trust your identity documents to a multi-billion dollar company that started out with stolen data and regularly sells your data to third parties, while hosting your indentity documents on their hackable servers with a big bullseye on them. "Get the fuck outta here" was my reply.
    This is a great post, Zap. Beautifully concise. Well I guess that pretty well sums it up for me then, I'll not be twitching so much as a finger muscle in the Facebook direction.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Atom For This Useful Post:

Zap

Thanks
    When I was first learning the computer I went to IRC, what a mad house that was. It only took a few visits to realize that I should not return, ever. Then I found some small forum I don't remember the name of and the posts were so nasty that I could hardly believe a forum like that could exist and not be shut down somehow. It was just all these kids fighting and calling each other names. I got the hell out of there pretty quick. At that point I was really starting to wonder about that there internet.

as a barnacle in the shallow depths of my mind
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 714 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    It seems I can't keep my mouth shut and Facebook doesn't allow fake names... sometimes.
    That's a toxic combination for an activist who values their privacy.

Someone reported a comment of mine that they didn't like and FB canned Mike Wizowski for being a fake name.
    It's the third time I've had an account canned for using an alias and this time, I didn't bother going back.
    I'm not ruling out an eventual return, anything is possible, but I'm not interested in FB enough to be bothered with it right now.
    Bigger fish to fry.

And, of course, I still pop in here on a fairly regular basis cuz you guys ROCK!
    What is it about people who report others to the Facebook authorities? That's a strange thing to feel powerful about, isn't it?
    And...what do you mean, Ed, when you say I belong here 1.2%. Is that the totality of my contribution? If so...how do I find THAT out, and then...how do I fix it???
    "She was not quite what you would call refined.
    She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
    -Mark Twain

Hidden Content

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryren8972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryren8972 View Post
    What is it about people who report others to the Facebook authorities? That's a strange thing to feel powerful about, isn't it?
    And...what do you mean, Ed, when you say I belong here 1.2%. Is that the totality of my contribution? If so...how do I find THAT out, and then...how do I fix it???
    People above all desire power... I saw that written on a hamster cage somewhere, I think...

And oh boy... to be honest, I don't know why I typed 1.2% because I was trying to say that you really do belong here... I must have mis-typed... oiy... that was sooooo last week... I'll blame the chocolate wafers... maybe I had too many... oiy... but, I can say this - you can fix it, not that you have anything to fix, by not disappearing again and posting like a maniac...
    Ed Womack
    Hidden Content

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewomack For This Useful Post:

as a barnacle in the shallow depths of my mind
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 714 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    People above all desire power... I saw that written on a hamster cage somewhere, I think...

And oh boy... to be honest, I don't know why I typed 1.2% because I was trying to say that you really do belong here... I must have mis-typed... oiy... that was sooooo last week... I'll blame the chocolate wafers... maybe I had too many... oiy... but, I can say this - you can fix it, not that you have anything to fix, by not disappearing again and posting like a maniac...
    "oiy"? That's new.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined.
    She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
    -Mark Twain

Hidden Content

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cryren8972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've been to the edge, I've seen the hellgrammites and partook of the cotton candy.

Thanks
    I have a question. I know it says in the OP that we don't need to be on topic but is it ok if the posts in themselves don't make sense as well?

Thanks
    Yes, my son, and thank you for your question.

Thanks
    Rat crackers for example, I've never heard of them before. And if it's a term that actually means something, I have no idea what it is. Sounds kinda weird though. I may use it in the future, as if it means something. I may not, too. I think people mainly see rats in a negative light. Rat crackers in my soup? Yeah probably not. On to lighter and more fluffy subjects. Tumbleweeds. I've never seen one in person.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryren8972 View Post
    "oiy"? That's new.
    Hm. I thought I had "oiy'd" with frequency here before... but perhaps not... life is soooo complicated...
    Ed Womack
    Hidden Content