Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,125 Posts
    We wonder, what is life all about? But no one really knows.

Thanks
    Science is the closest we can come to explaining reality. If you don't get it, it's your fault.

Thanks
    I see that Trump has walked back his claim of global warming being a hoax. That doesn't surprise me at all. He now claims that it is not a hoax. I thought that was very nice of him. However, he still does not condone it.

Thanks
    I'm going to have a good fucking time on the internet before I die, and Zap is allowing me to do that. I doubt there's too many site owners like that. Most are ban crazy, and I'm not talking about spammers. If you say something "wrong", you're fucked. Not so in this forum. Zap is wiser than most. I can tell because I'm still here.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The only problem with beautiful people is age.

Thanks
    I'll admit that and I don't remember the rest. Perhaps I should not drink so much.

It's hard to recognize when to stop when you're having such a good time.

Thanks
    I love you guys, except for Cry because she ain't a guy.

Thanks
    Just kidding, I love women. Just not all of them. I only love the good looking ones.

Thanks
    I blame Hollywood.

Thanks
    I like to post when I'm drunk. If I'm not drinking then I'm reluctant to post. Thank goodness for the weed.

Thanks
    I'm posting right now because I'm drunk, but if I wasn't drunk I'd post due to highness from weed, which is actually kind of cool. I love weed.

Thanks
    I think it's great. No kidding.

Thanks
    Yes I know it's not natural to alter your mind. Or is it?

Thanks
    I am in love with myself. I think I'd choose a firing squad, given the choice.

Thanks
    Ok this is getting really weird now, can someone please ban this guy?

Thanks
    When I lose the ability to roll a cigarette, I'm done.

Thanks
    I just learned something which I believe to be of minimal importance to me but interesting none the less, from a PBS filler show. Camels do not spit, they vomit. I guess there's a lot of people that think they're spitting saliva. I certainly thought so. But nope, it's vomit.

Thanks
    If I remember correctly, the reason that Zap discontinued new registrations is because of the burden of having to deal with all the spammers, and I don't blame him. Those motherfuckers are relentless.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    I really was there for the bloody early days. The other day a group of us technical folks were introducing each other and when my turn arrived I said "I built my first website in 1997." Then I suddenly realized that the statement was absolutely true. It wasn't a personal website, either, it was the website for the place I worked at the time. It had JavaScript and everything. That still makes me go "whoa."
    Our 300 bps modems probably passed each other in the ether a time or two.
    #1 Pickup Line: Hey. Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

♫♫ Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content ♫♫

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys! BTWIMHO is still on my bookmarks list. I always enjoyed this place. I haven't come around much because it isn't very busy. This is silly, like a dog chasing it's tail. I don't stop by because it's not busy but it's not busy because people (like me) don't stop by often enough. Not Busy > Don't visit > Don't visit > Not busy. D'Oh. We really need a Homer emoticon.

Quite a while ago I realized that I surf the internet one of two ways. Either with my hands on the keyboard ready for action or on the mouse and thereby not ready to type. I've always been more of a content consumer than creator as I guess most people are anyhow. I think it's a byproduct of how I learned to use a computer. I learned on DOS before the mouse reined supreme. When my hands are on the keyboard I'm actively doing something. When it's on the mouse I'm more a less mindlessly scrolling grazing content.

I took made my first website in the late 90s. Probably not '97 as that's when I got first got on the 'information superhighway' at a blazing 56k (usually only 28.8k - I might get 33-34k if I was lucky) from home. Many people didn't know this but 56k modems were faster than phones could carry at the time, the FCC capped it 53k for one reason or another.

My first website would have been closer to '99. My ISP bestowed upon me whopping 25MB of web space and I used for a personal website. Almost like blog before blogs were a thing. Forget about buying a domain name - it was $99 (?) at the time which was quite a bit of money for a 15 year old. It was nothing fancy but it made me learn quite a bit. My biggest 'hack' was learning the HTML target attribute so my photo gallery's thumbnails could all be opened in a the same new in window.

Scanning photos required expensive hardware. I learned how to crop, resize, and compress pictures for use on my whopping 25MB of web space. IIRC, scanners weren't very high resolution anyhow (most mid-range phone camera's have better resolution today) but storage was expensive. Good thing scanners weren't high resolution. I know my first internet capable computer had an HD well less than 1GB. Speaking of which we now carry smart phones in our pocket which have 100+ times more storage, memory, and processing power than computers had just 30 years ago. Think about that. Never in history has technology progressed so quickly.

Technology and process marching on is generally a good thing. I do agree with Ed that generally the internet has become a cesspool. I think it works that way with any technology. First it's a novelty, it's like magic that people don't understand very well, which makes them respect it. Over time it hits critical mass, most people understand the basics of how it works, and start to take it for granted. Just look at the progression of music, movies, and television. I try to avoid social media. Facebook went from being a great way to stay in touch with distant family and friends to being ridiculously intrusive showing you as online and available nearly 24/7 and demanding our attention with bullshit push notifications which have been proven to be a brain hack.

Aside from my little trip down memory lane. I hope everyone is well. Things are good here in New York. Summer has yet again given away to fall (big surprise) I'm acclimating to the colder temps which I generally hate but I don't have any other choice. Sometimes I enjoy the excuse that it's to cold to go walking a few miles though. I'm looking forward to the holidays.
    Last edited by Big Dan; 22-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Dan For This Useful Post: